Breasts high and boxy, and I'm in pain and bruised. (Photo)

I had breast augmentation done one week ago under the muscle -- 350 in one and 375 in another. Previously I had breast cancer, and surgery and radiation left one a different size than the other. My breasts seem to be high and boxy. Doc says it's normal, but I'm wondering if maybe I went too big or if something else going on. One of the reasons for concern is I've seen others a day or so after surgery and there's no bruising and the breasts are in a much better position.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breasts high and boxy, and I'm in pain and bruised.

Thank you for your question. It is common to have swelling and look like very high at this stage. They will continue to get better in the coming few weeks. Bruising can occur in some cases, but if you have unusual pain I recommend you talk to your PS to make sure no hematoma. Good luck

Breasts high and boxy after breast augmentation...

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Keep in mind that no one will replace your own plastic surgeon when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.   

My best advice: rest,  recover, and exercise patience.  Again, communicate concerns/questions directly with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.