Does your BMI have to be a certain % before breast revision?

I am 44 y/o, 5'5",weigh 200lbs and wear a 36D and a size lg/14. I workout (crossfit) 5 days a week and eat 70% paleo. I have a lot of muscle mass. I would consider myself to be med/lg built. My health is perfect and always has been. I take no meds at all beside vitamins. I had a Dr tell me I had to loss 10lb before he would do a breast revision on me. I think that ridiculous. I am probably healthy than most of his 130lb 25 Year old clients.

What kind of revision are you needing?

But your surgeon seems to be stalling... what was your BMI when you had your initial procedure?  If higher than what it is now, there is no reason you cannot have your revision now if you are maintaining your weight well.  Now your surgeon may have some other valid reason for delaying your procedure for 10 more pounds but I can't think of any right now.

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Tuberous Breasts

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

In general, I would say that BMI is but one measure of fitness and there will be exceptions based upon muscle mass, etc.

BMI and cosmetic surgery complications

Patients never like to hear that their BMI is high and that predisposes them to having complications after surgery, sometimes serious complications.  Even patients who are 'physically fit' but have a high BMI have this risk.  Patients often hear about the risks and benefits of surgery but don't realize that complications, when they happen to you, are quite real.

So it isn't fat shaming or judgment that forces doctors to talk about BMI with their patients; it's a proven increase in the chance their patient will have a complication.

That doesn't mean at all that surgery cannot be done in patients with higher BMI ratios, but the risks must be considered.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Breast lift

Every doctor will have a slightly different protocol based on their beliefs and experiences but most will agree that having a BMI above 30 isn’t optimal for elective cosmetic surgery. I recommend that my patients have a BMI of 30 or less to have the best and safest results. If your BMI is higher than that I would recommend getting it down to at least 30 because anything above 30 is considered in the obese range which isn’t optimal for undergoing elective cosmetic surgery and it puts you at a higher risk of delayed healing. I also recommend that my patients remain at their goal weight for at least 6 months before having surgery done for optimal results because weight fluctuation can cause a change in your results.  It is important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for best results and to reduce your chance of health related issues. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  No, there is no universally accepted BMI  requirement prior to proceeding with breast surgery.  However, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.

BMI and breast revision

Sorry to hear that you are so frustrated, Altay.  As my colleague suggested, it is difficult to answer your question because the term "breast revision" is vague.  At the end of the day, I think it is critically important that a patient and a plastic surgeon have a great relationship that is based on open, clear communication.  If you don't understand their recommendation, ask for an explanation.  Are they deferring surgery because they think weight loss will affect your breast?  Are they concerned that without weight loss, your breasts will be out of proportion to your body?  I would suggest that you discuss there matters with your doctor, or find a physician that you can communicate with easily.  Best of luck!  

Larry Lickstein, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

We don't know what procedure you are having as "breast revision" can be any one of a dozen different procedures. But once you have chosen a surgeon you need to follow that doctor's directions. I don't understand why patients get upset when surgeon says don't do surgery. He only makes money when he does surgery. You should be upset when he agrees to do surgery that  isn't right for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD