What would benefit my skin more? Botox or fillers or microdermabrasion? 53 years old (Photo)

Cosmetic treatments

Thank you for your question dianalyn. There are a variety of cosmetic treatments that are available. For my patients I recommend treatments based on concerns. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Microdermabrasion, chemical peels, and laser resurfacing work well for those with textural concerns. Fillers are ideal for those with volume loss. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Treating your skin

Thank you for your question. It’s a bit difficult to judge your needs based on the photo you provided, it’s a bit out of focus. I do think you could benefit from some Botox, especially for your frown lines. Anything we do is always best maintained with an appropriate skin care regimen and skin treatments such as microdermabrasion. Well preserved skin is essential in maintaining your youthful look and the right products can help with this.

What would benefit my skin more?

Dear dianalyn,
If you are new aesthetic interventions your head will probably spin when you discover the candy store of options out there. Your photo is a bit out of focus but the creases between your brows do stand out and you appear to be a great candidate for Botox, which can relax these muscles and smooth this area. Fillers add volume to deflated areas that come with age, and everything from medical skin care to laser resurfacing can benefit your skin. Surgical procedures also offer terrific options for rejuvenation.
Every patient finds their comfort level when it comes to price, downtime, risk, and results. It might be good to have a consultation that would offer you a glimpse at the full spectrum and then you can decide where you want to start.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

Botox, fillers and lasers work well in combination. Botox for the movement lines (Crows feet and "11's"), fillers for deep lines that remain at rest and for areas of the face with volume loss, and needling/lasers for complexion, glands, smoothness of this area. I suggest consulting with a board certified dermatologist who can do a full facial asessment and get you on a treatment plan with the correct/best combination for your goals.  Best, Dr. Emer

What would benefit my skin more? Botox or fillers or microdermabrasion?

Microdermabrasion will do very little other than to reduce the amount of dullness and roughness of the skin surface. Botox between the brows will definitely smooth that area. You might also consider Botox to the "crow's feet" area to reduce smile lines. Fillers can also work wonders to improve age-related facial volume loss. Consult with an expert physician injector. We live in a state where literally anyone can be designated as the office "injector" or "injectionist." Without choosing a physician injector (usually plastic surgeon or dermatologist is best) you really don't know what your injector's education or training has consisted of. Best. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

What would benefit my skin more? Botox or fillers or microdermabrasion? 53 years old

Hello and thank you for your question!

I think a mix of both treatments would be best in this case. Perhaps you can get the fillers to treat some of the faults that are already fixed and permanent, and botox to treat the disfigurement of the face, forehead, and eyes; that way you will look younger and renewed. Microdermabrasion is something that you might consider to give your skin a youthful look.

Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for further advice and the best, safest results.

Good luck!

Enriquillo Clime Rivera, MD

Skin Rejuvenation (non-surgical) - Combination of Treatments Needed

The best treatment for skin rejuvenation and prevention depends upon an individual’s skin type, age, ethnicity, sun exposure, and overall health. In order to give you an accurate treatment plan, a consultation is required to properly assess your skin. I recommend  a healthy lifestyle: a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and fish; eight to ten hours of sleep nightly; limiting alcohol intake other than the occasional glass of red wine; and regular exercise. An important step for all skin types is sun protection including the use of daily sunscreen, sun hats and sunglasses, all of which help prevent aging and sunburns.  When it comes to rejuvenating and prevention treatments, a combination of treatments are available including cosmeceuticals (skin care products including ZO® Skin Health or ZO® Medical, Skinceuticals® or Glo-Minerals®), neurotoxins (Botox®, Xeomin®), dermal fillers (Restylane®, Juvederm®, Esthelis®, Belotero®, Emervel®, Radiesse®), skin resurfacing procedures (laser resurfacing with CO2 laser, Er:YAG laser, Fraxel DUAL®, PicoSure® FOCUS Lens Array or OBAGI® controlled depth chemical peel) and other devices such as Ultherapy® can be used.  These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon consultation for recommendations and treatment options.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Most benefit

Thank you for your photo. The best non-surgical option to improve the appearance of your facial structure would be injectable fillers in the middle and lower face to correct age-related volume loss. Fillers can be used in a variety of areas to add volume to your upper cheek, cheekbone areas, and chin/jawline to add dimension. Secondary areas for fillers would be to directly target your nasolabial folds and any other deep set folds and wrinkles on the face although it is important to keep in mind that having some subtle wrinkles is more natural than having no wrinkles! Fillers also give the additional benefit of making skin appear more hydrated and refreshed. Botox would also be a great option for your upper face and around the eyes to reduce your forehead wrinkles and crow's feet as well as the "11's" in the glabella region between your eyebrows. I would rank microdermabrasion as the lowest benefit out of the three due to its temporary and subtle effects, especially if only performed once. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD
Plastic Surgery. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Botox, Fillers, or Skin treatments

To rejuvenate the face, there is no single wonder product out there. For a natural result, a combination but conservative approach is the key.

Dynamic wrinkles that form when muscles bunch up skin can be addressed with Botox. 

Deep lines and folds can be addressed with fillers.

Sun damaged and loose skin can be addressed with skin care. 

Using the appropriate amounts of each treatment will yield a pleasing, natural, and safe result. Too much of a single treatment can easily create an artificial appearance. It's ok to start slow. I recommend having a consultation so photos can be taken and your facial structure examined to determine what options are appropriate for you. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox or Fillers

Botox and fillers can both do great things to make you look your best.  However, each do different things.

Botox relaxes muscles which are causing wrinkles when you make an expression.  If the lines between your brows are a concern, Botox is the place to start.

Fillers can help wrinkles too.  However the real power of fillers is to help with the contours and proportions of your face.  As we age our face tends to sink inward in certain areas.  The long smooth curves of our face are replaced with hills and valley's that make us look older. 

To be complete.  Microdermabrasion is a good exfoliator which will help with your complexion (along with good skin care) but will make much less of a noticeable change than properly administered Botox or fillers.

Your best bet is to see an experienced cosmetic surgeon who can help you decide what is best for you.   

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon