How can I avoid having to stay overnight in the hospital if I know that it takes me hours to recovery from anesthesia?

Getting breast reduction surgery in a month and I'm concerned about having to spend the night in the hospital overnight. When I got my lipo it ended up taking me about 4 1/2 hours to be able to move my feel, therefore the doctor had to wait until I could. Apparently I kept waking up then falling asleep and when I was awake I was mean and I couldn't move my feet for hours...so I waited. What can be done to avoid this when I get my breast reduction? I'm definitely going to tell my doctor about this

Overnight Stay after Anesthesia

There are 2 things you need to know. First, a breast reduction does not require an overnight stay. I have not kept anyone overnight after this procedure in over 30 years. Secondly, before any anesthesia, you will be evaluated by the anesthesiologist who will inquire about your past history and modify whatever anesthesia you receive accordingly. Many practices will have you evaluated well in advance of your surgery, especially with your history. Almost all will get your history to the anesthesiologist early.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

#breastreduction

I see that you already realize that you need to discuss this with your surgeon and the anesthesia provider. You should be able to meet with someone from anesthesia services prior to surgery date to possibly modify your anesthetic. Perhaps that and an early start time for surgery.

#realselftopdoctor

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction recovery

Everyone wakes up a little differently from anesthesia. Having this knowledge and letting your anesthesiologist know can be helpful as there are different drugs that can be used. So perhaps speaking with your anesthesiologist will be the most useful.

Best wishes with your surgery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Anesthesia and overnight stay at hospital

Communication with your Plastic Surgeon voicing your concerns with your anesthesia experience is important.  Possibly a meeting with the Anesthesiologist before surgery can be arranged to discuss options for a better recovery experience.  Staying overnight in the hospital may be necessary to insure your safety. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Overnight stay

I perform all of my breast reductions at a state licensed and Medicare approved ambulatory surgery center.  All of my patients are discharged home about an hour or so after surgery.  Occasionally a patient may require more time, but generally speaking, breast reduction patients have minimal discomfort and are eager to return to the comfort of their home.  Certainly if you have specific concerns and a bad experience you should alert your doctor.

Samuel Beran, MD