Looking for advice and/or options available for removing lower cheek/jaw fat and under chin fat? (Photos)

I am 33, in good health, exercise regularly, and average weight. I would like a more defined chin and jaw. I am considering kybella for submental fat. Is this advisable? Would I be a good candidate for this procedure? Also, I am curious what options are available, and would be best suited for me, for removing the fat around the lower cheek/jaw line. This chubbiness is particularly noticeable from the side profile and when I smile.

A Combination of Non-surgical Options Should Work Nicely to Further Define Your Jaw and Chin

I do think a combination of nonsurgical options would likely give you a result you would be happy with.  I do think Kybella would help to remove some of the fullness in the area underneath your chin, while a small amount of filler injected along the lower border of the jaw would help to smooth the jawline. It also looks like some Botox injected into your masseter muscles would help by reducing the width of your lower cheeks. This combination would likely give the result that you are hoping for, even (and especially) when you smile. Good luck.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella appropriate for you

This question comes up frequently in my practice. I typically break it down as follows:Kybella is great to dissolve the fat and improve the contour in the submental region. It takes 2-3 treatments for maximal results so it is more of a marathon mindset, not a sprint. Liposuction is better for someone with fat that needs to be removed throughout the neck and is not willing to wait the 3 months to get the result they want. From your photos, depending on what your expectations are, you might be a better candidate for Kybella because most of the fat seems to isolated to the submental region. Hope this helps

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looking for advice and options on removing lower cheek/jaw fat and under chin fat?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  If you are looking towards minimally invasive treatments I would recommend Kybella to help reduce the size of your submental fat, as well as long-acting dermal fillers, such as Voluma, into your cheeks and jawline to help you attain the goals listed in your narrative.  Hope this helps.

Under-chin fat

Based on the photos, I am seeing that you would be a good candidate for Kybella or cool-mini to reduce the fat in the under-jaw area. Kybella is an injectable that dissolves the fat and cool mini- freezes the fat which kills the fat cells. There is also Ultherapy which can tighten the skin in that area. My recommendation would be to see a board certified Dermatologist or Plastic surgeon with expertise in this area to help you decide the right treatment plan for you.Sincerely,Dr. Quenby Erickson

Options for improving the fat under the chin

Dear person 517,You have several options, and to get the best result you might consider trying more than one. Although you are only in your 30's you can see on the side view that you have lost definition of a strong jawline and have a very mild jowl. The mild weakness of your chin and small bit of submental fat add to a look that is a little older. Surgery is probably overkill at this age, but you may be one who considers doing this earlier than your counterparts because of it.I would consider ThermiTight with a touch of submental liposuction at the same time and then filler or fat injections in the marionette lines and hollow that is creating the appearance of the jowl. ThermiTight is a minimally invasive office procedure that will create a few days of swelling and possible bruising but downtime is pretty minimal.You could certainly try Kybella (I am going to guess you might be a little small for Coolscultp Mini which also melts fat here), but removing the fat alone is just one part of the problem that is bothering you.Best of luck!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction, Smart Liposuction, Nonsurgical Methods to Remove Lower Cheek/Jaw Fat, Submental Chin Fat, Doubl

VASER hi def liposuction with RF or other skin tightening treatments (ThermiRF, Exilis, Ultherapy, Thermage) plus fillers in the chin and upper cheeks can help shape and slim your jaw. Kybella can also be used to reduce fat in the chin/jaw. See an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jawline Defiinition

Thank you for your question! Kybella works by dissolving the fat cells underneath the chin, which lie just below the skin.  This will help to remove fullness and can even tighten the jawline and submental (under the chin) area.  While this can be achieved through surgery, Kybella is a wonderful and effective alternative for those who are looking for a non-surgical option.  Based on your pictures alone, I believe you would be a good candidate for treatment with Kybella.  I would consult with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon who specializes in the face for a physical examination and recommendation.I hope that this helps!-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photo and desired results, yes, I think that Kybella, possibly combined with some filler, could be a great choice for you. My best advise would be for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss your options. Hope this helps.

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Lower Chin Fat and Kybella, Cool-mini, Thermage, and Fillers

A combination of treatments usually is best for the aging neck.  You appear to be an excellent candidate for Kybella and Thermage.  I would also inject a small amount of Botox and Juvederm for the best results for the jowls.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question person517. Kybella is the first and thus far only FDA approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. There are a number of causes for the double chin including age, weight gain, and genetics. A number of treatments are available for improving jawline definition. These include Voluma in the upper cheeks to pull the lower cheek upper, skin tightening such as Ultherapy, fracitonal CO2 lasers, or SkinTyte, Botox Nefertiti lift to relax the muscle that pulls down on the jawline, and Kybella to permanently destroy the fat under the chin. I find that a combination approach works best. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician