3 weeks post surgery and all my stitches are still in.

I had labiaplasty done 3 weeks ago and I missed my post op appointment, I still have all stitches in which I am wondering if they are going to dissolve by them selfs? They gave me an appointment and I have to wait 3 more weeks. It is still a little swollen so I don't know what I should do?

Post op follow up

Without a picture it is difficult to give advice.  There are many variables that may be playing a role but most important are the suture used for the procedure itself.

I would insist on an earlier follow up as it seems a little too far out.

Try again

Try again to call your doctor for an appointment. They will be flexible and see you asap.I never have any visible sutures for my patients. They are all buried and dissolvable, so there are no bumps or painful stitches poking at anything. That's because i'm a plastic surgeon and i know lots of delicate suture techniques and not just a baseball whip stitch that most local gyn's use (you know who you are let's be honest). Just look at the Q and A on realself and you will see exactly what I mean.

Labiaplasty sutures - What to do?

Hello Melissa,
Thank you for your question, but without photos I can't answer specifically regarding your particular sutures since it depends on the location, type and method that they were placed.
You should call your surgeon and ask to be seen. They should work you in right away since you are post-op. This would at least provide you piece of mind.
You remain swollen and uncomfortable because the sutures are still present. In my practice, we remove the labia reduction sutures within the first week since by then they've done their job. This results in immediate patient comfort and better healing.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Thank you for sharing your question.  In most cases labiaplasty surgeons use an absorbable type of suture material that will not require any suture removal to take place.  Unfortunately without a photograph or in-person examination it is difficult to know what you had placed so the best option is to reach out to your surgeons office to ensure that your stitches do not need to come out as it can affect your long term outcome. 

3 weeks post op labiaplasty

Dear Melissavalles

Dr Goodman answer is spot on.  You really should call your surgeons office and ask.  Though most surgeons use a delayed absorbable sutures experienced surgeons like Dr Goodman and myself have seen just about every type of suture including permanent used.  I doubt your surgeon used permanent but some surgeons do. Please call your surgeons office and find out.

John R Miklos MD
Urogynecology & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgery
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Office contact

Hello Melissa,

You need to contact your surgeon's office to ask this. Sutures can vary quite a bit. We don't all use the same types. Make sure the staff knows your situation before you wait another 3 weeks. Don't assume they do.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon..!

I'm sorry you missed your appointment. Your question can only be answered by your surgeon, not us here not knowing you, no photo, etc: give me a break! If your surgeon used nylon, those sutures better come out soon! If he/she used the wrong kind of skin sutures (large caliber chromic or Vicryl) they will take 4-6 weeks to dissolve & may leave "suture tracks." If he.she used small (5-0 or 6-0) caliber non-reactive monofiliment or quick dissolving ("Rapide") sutures, then not to worry!

Good luck,

Michael P Goodman, MD 
Davis, CA, USA

Stitches still in

Thanks for submitting your question. The sutures that are used were either vicryl or monocryl which can take up to 6 weeks to fully dissolve. Because of the nature of labial tissue and how thin it can be , stitches in these areas usually come out on their own or can be cut out before 6 weeks. The itching and irritation can be maddening. Try to see your surgeon sooner if the stitches are bothering your.

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN