Dents and Bumps. Revision? (photo)

I had rhinoplasty 14 months ago. Just the nasal hump reduced. Initially I was happy with the results but as the swelling went down, I saw many imperfections. The surgeon has told me to come in so that he can "file" the imperfections down and use a filler for the dents. Based on the photo I've provided, do you think this is something that could be fixed with small in-office procedure or should I consider a revision with another surgeon all together.

Filling

Filling can be a reasonable option to correct mild imperfections.
I would generally consider that before going back to surgery.

Rhinoplasty Dorsum Refinement

If this is a bony and cartilaginous excess issue, further removal in a closed rhinoplasty is a reasonable option.  Fillers could also be considered.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bumps/dents following rhinoplasty

“Filing” may be a bit more than an in-office procedure, so you want that explained more before doing it. Filler is a useful adjunct and can be done in the office. The photo provided is somewhat inadequate and out of focus. Therefore, based on it alone, it is difficult to determine if a complete surgical revision is warranted. You may want to get a second opinion from a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Use of a filler sometimes works

Dear Victoria
It is possible to correct some of these subtle deformities with fillers, realize you may need to repeat it yearly. 

However if it works it may buy" you some time, and then you cn make a more educated decision. It is vey hard to see in this picture if its "subtle". When in doubt there is nothing wrong with getting a second opinion.

Andres G. Sarraga, MD, FACS
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Bumps and dents in nose

It sounds like a reasonable plan to have the bumps filed down and the irregularities or dents perhaps filled.  

Minor correction after rhinoplasty

The small dent can be corrected as a minor procedure by a filler injection which is an office procedure.

Filing of any bony irregularity is better done in an operating theatre either under local anaesthesia (numbing injections) or general anaesthesia.

The photo you have posted does not show the whole nose and has only the front view. Based on this it does not look like you need a full revision rhinoplasty - but please post more photos including side and basal views if you need further advice.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Revision of Prior Bridge Work Done

The photo is a bit blurry so an accurate assessment is difficult. That being said, there are some cases where minor refinements done in the office setting can help further improve your rhinoplasty results. This includes small filing procedures to smooth out the bridge as well as use of fillers to contour minor depressions. Wishing you the best of luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

"Dents and Bumps" after Rhinoplasty

You describe "many imperfections"  which implies more than a minor procedure. I would need to see more than the one picture you submitted. If you have any doubts a second opinion may help you decide what to do.

Non-surgical Rhinoplasty is great for small revisions after surgery

Your nose could be treated very well with fillers!  An experienced injector could contour your nose very well.  I find that fillers are actually better at fine-tuning contouring than surgery.   You'll find that over time, the concavities will be less and less with each injection.  It is important, to have someone who also performs surgical rhinoplasty and is familiar with the anatomy to contour your nose.

I have attached an example of a non-surgical revision rhinoplasty patient, take a look.

David C. Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minor revision for nasal irregularities

Based upon your information and the limited photos you provided, it seems reasonable as to what your surgeon recommends. It is not uncommon for the nose to settle after about a year and reveal some of these irregularities that you are concerned about. It is not uncommon in my practice either and I would tend to agree with your surgeon. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon