Shredded look vagina?

Okay, so I noticed lately that inside the labia minors around the opening has started to look almost shredded. And the opening has skin tag like things on it now. It hasn't always been like this and is fairly recent. Any ideas?

Doctor Answers 8

Hymen Remnants That got swollen

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
These tags or remnants of the hymen can get swollen or inflamed or hypertrophic/enlarged from trauma and time and gravity and hormones.Nothing to worry about, it's normal. But if it bothers you they can be removed under local anesthesia at little cost to you. Find an expert who does lots of aesthetic vulvovaginal surgery. Plastic surgeons are the best but I'm biased.

Shredded look vagina?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Difficult to tell without a picture. I would certainly recommend an exam in order to offer some guidance. I am happy to help. Best wishes.

Shredded look vagina?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately without a photograph to offer definite advice, the most common cause of skin tags and a "shredded" tissue look is remnant hymenal ring tags. See your ob/gyn for an in-person evaluation, they can best help diagnose your current appearance.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

See gynaecologist first

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There could be a variety of reasons why you have a “shredded” look, such as remnants of your hymen, but it would be very difficult to comment without a photo and more information about your situation. You might want to first see a gynaecologist for an exam. 


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Did you have a procedure performed or have these just appeared? Do you have photos? There is not enough info to give you a good answer.

"Shredded" look to vaginal opening...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
...Be happy to answer your question, but need pics--can't do without. Or, you can make an appointment with an expert in women's vaginal and vulvar plastic?cosmetic surgery & have an in-person eval...

Check out the website below for more info.


Michael P GoodmanMD
Davis, CA, USA

Shredded look vagina?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question.  No online reviewer can make a diagnosis or provide treatment options with out a full history and examination.  I can not comment on the limited information provided.  I would recommend you start with an examination by your gynecologist.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Shredded look?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Without having a picture to be sure, it would venture to say it was a normal variant and likely hymenal skin tags. See your gyn and have them examine you for reassurance. If you feel the skin tags are troublesome, then seek out a surgeon who has experience in this type of surgery.

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.