How likely is it that I ruptured my implants from a fall when running?

I fell running face first into concrete. I have textured gel implants and want to know how likely a rupture would be. I fell on my implants as well. There are a few scratches underneath and a little bruising. The scratches I believe are from my sports bra.

Unlikely, But Schedule an Appointment

I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. As others have said on this forum, it's unlikely that the fall ruptured your implants. But your first step should be to schedule an appointment with your plastic surgeon. Textured implants are designed to create a stable capsule that adheres to tissue so that they don't rotate. It's possible your fall separated either one or both implants from that attachment. It's definitely worth getting it checked out if you are concerned. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for a thorough examination. Based on their physical findings, imaging may be required to rule out an implant rupture.

Post op concerns

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination as the symptoms you are describing could indicate a number of things. More pictures would be helpful, but having your doctor examine you and prescribe further treatment is probably necessary.

Good luck!

Ruptured implant after trauma

It is unlikely you did but a check up is the best way to rule it out. See your surgeon and if he has a concern then he will send you to have an MRI.

Good luck!

Injury to implants from a fall

It is not very likely that you ruptured your implants from a fall, but more likely that you might have torn some of the capsule around the implant or separated the implant from the capsule if they were the type that promote tissue adherence to the capsule. It sounds worthy of an examination by your surgeon (if possible), and an MRI (implant protocol) to put your mind at ease. The FDA recommends having an MRI every couple of years to check for ruptures, though few stick to this schedule. It might be a good reason to take a peek. Other changes in size, shape, or feel are also important to share with your surgeon.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

No body can answer this question

When in doubt get it checked.  Guesswork has no value. MRI is needed to get the real answer to your question. It is worth it for safety and your mental peace.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Although it's very unlikely, there's always a small chance.  Check with your surgeon and consider a MRI to rule it out if your suspicion is strong.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Damage to her implants with injury to the chest

Although it is fairly unlikely you had damage your implants by falling while running there is a small risk that it could have happened, especially with older implants. If you are concerned I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon and perhaps having an MRI performed. This can help allay your fears.

Did you rupture your implants while running?

Implants are made to withstand a great deal of force and pressure.  Chances are that your implants are not ruptured from your fall, but depending on their age, etc., there is always a possibility.  The only true way to determine if a rupture is present or not is with an MRI.  Your PS should be able to prescribe that for you.  Good luck, and I hope you are rupture-free!