Dental Implant for Correcting Underbite?

I had braces as a teen growing up and after they were removed one of my top teeth moved back to its original position causing me to have an underbite. If I have it removed and get an implant do you think it will correct my bite?

Doctor Answers 4

Implants to correct an underbite

If you have had relapse after having orthodontics an extraction and dental implant is not the best answer.  Some more orthodontics to move the teeth back to the desired position is the best and least invasive way to correct this. It may even be able to be done with Invisalign.  Speak to your orthodontist first before removing healthy teeth and possibly causing other unnecessary problems

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Braces or implant to correct underbite

If a tooth has shifted (known as relapse in orthodontic terms), then it's best to correct it with orthodontics. Some times a retainer type prosthesis or invisalign can do the job. While extraction and replacement with an implant is an option, certainly not my first recommendation.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Tough question without more info

I would think a more easy resolve would be to get Invisalign for a few months and correct the crooked tooth. An implant is costly and time consuming involving surgery whereas Invisalign only requires wearing a thin tray over your teeth...go for a couple consults with cosmetic dentists to find the best solution.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist
3.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Implants replace teeth, not correct bites

Normally the term "bite" refers to the relationship of ALL of the teeth, but in your case you may mean just the one tooth is in crossbite and the rest are fine. If that is the case, I would agree, you might be able to fix the relationship in that one area.

I would suggest seeking treatment with a dentist that has experience with this, as there is likely some bone issues to manage. Not impossible, but not the same as simply "pull and replace".

Lance Timmerman, DMD, MAGD
Seattle Dentist
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.