Dent in Breast After Several Breast Surgeries. What Can I Do? (photo)

My first surgery to fix a tuberous deformity was mastoplexy/augmentation(June '11). Then had corrective surgery on my right breast because of a capsular contracture(Sept '11). I just underwent my third surgery to pick up my right breast, because it had started to sag quite a bit(March 6 '12), and I had tumescent liposuction (hips, abdomen, flanks) at the same time. Now I have a dent in my right breast. How is this fixed? I know in the pictures it doesnt seem like much, but it is very noticable.

Doctor Answers 9

Breast indentation can be caused by any number of different reasons.


Multiple surgeries and a history of capsule contracture as well as tuberous breast deformity complicates the diagnosis of breast indentation/irregularity.  The simplest repair would be fat grafting to the area.  If you and your plastic surgeon are planning on going back for any revision surgery the indentation can be evaluated from the inside and properly addressed.

All the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 166 reviews

Dent in breast

A dent in the breast may represent scar tissue from the previous surgeries. It also can represent thin tissue and rippling of an implant. Without an exam it is hard to say.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

How to fix a dent in the Breast?

Difficult to see in the picture, but I would suggest pursuing some fat grafting to fill this defect. It can be done in the offcie under a local anesthesia and should be succesful, it may require 2 sessions but should provide an excellent outcome, good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 87 reviews

Dent in breast after surgery

It's hard to determine without seeing you, but it may be scar tissue or lack of fat in the area.  I would visit the surgeon who last corrected the area and inquire about removing the scar tissue or fat grafting the area that is dented.

Dent in breast

With such limited pictures, it is really hard to give you specific advice.  However, if you have a small dent, then fat grafting may be the best option.  However, you would really need a full examination and more information about your surgery to determine what is best for you.


Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

Fat grafting will help

You have depression due to the suture tension and scaring. Combination of liposuction and fat grafting will help

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Dent - Fixed with Fat Graftimg

This is simple to fix with fat transplantation.  THis should take one session and the chances of you needing more than one procedure are low.

 Best Regards,


Dr Del Vecchio



Daniel Del Vecchio, MD
Boston Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 180 reviews

Dent in Breast After Several Breast Surgeries

The indentation is noticeable, but it is hard to assess what is going on without seeing your entire breast and examining you. Based upon what is shown, this could either be due to scar tissue that is tethering your skin or a loss of tissue from either fat atrophy or excessive tissue removal during your previous surgery. If it is from a deficit of soft tissue and the breast is soft and supple, fat grafting to this area would correct this problem. If the breast is tight and there is tethering of the tissue, this will have to be surgically released so that the breast tissue can fill in this area and give you a more natural shape. Another thing you could do would be to massage your implants and breast tissue and see this will allow your breast tissue and implant to fill out this area. I would consult your plastic surgeon and discuss the issue with him/her, have him examine your, and develop a plan to correct this problem.

Perry Liu, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Dent in Breast After Several Breast Surgeries. What Can I Do?

Very hard to see the complete area in the posted photos, SO the complete breast. But try fat grafting or fillers.

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.