Skin necrosis 12 day after Facelift? (photo)

I'm 12 day post FL and 2 days ago I noticed yellow stuff coming out from in front of my ear. I texted my doctor and was given antibotics. Now a small part of the ear is totally black. The clinic here in Denmark is closed over Easter. I sent a photo to my doc but he said I should not worry. The body will take care of it. I'm totally worried about necrosis and if it will spread?! I have never smoked. What are your recommendations?

Some skin necrosis in front of the ear

The area in the picture is quite small and will indeed heal in a very short period of time. Keep it clean and dry and the small area will heal slowly but surely. In other circumstances we might call this a scab. Ulkktimately, it will not affect the final result.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Skin Necrosis after Facelift

You only have a small amount of necrosis right at the skin edge. This will heal without needing any revision. Your necrosis will not spread to other areas-it is an issue of inadequate blood supply to the skin. At this point, you will not develop any more necrosis.

Necrosis

It appears to be a very small area of necrosis.  It will not progress at this stage.  It will probably not result in any unsightly scarring.

Jeffrey Marvel, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necrosis after facelift?

Thanks for the picture.  It is hard to say if this is necrosis or dried blood.  It should not spread if it is necrosis.  Visit with your operating plastic surgeon for the diagnosis and treatment.

Skin loss

The duskiness of the flap should return the small area of necrosis will demarcate and should heal.  The only issues you may have would be scarring that eventually may need revision.  Please call your surgeon if you have questions.  

Oliver P. Simmons, MD, FACS
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

FL incision

hello, hopefully this small area will be the limit to any problems for you. be sure to follow-up closely with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Jarrod Daniel, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Loss of skin as a consequence of a facelift.

Loss of skin should almost never occur after a facelift. It is the product of excessive mobilization of the random flap and suturing the skin under tension. The composite facelift by design eliminates these two conditions exposing the skin to risk of failure.

Dusky post lift

At 12 days you should be fine.I don't see any blistering over your cheeks and the small amount of scab over your ear should be fine.Follow up with your surgeon is always the best.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Ischemia

It seems an ischemia area or even a little necrosis, I recommend to see your surgeon as soon as possible in order to take care about it.  Please do not stop the antibiotics until to meet with your doctor.
All the best for you!

Fulvio Correa, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

Skin necrosis after facelift

The photo that you sent is a very minor issue and will heal very well over time. We see this commonly in this area and just treating it with supportive care will heal nicely. Good luck

Miguel Delgado, MD