When can I begin to put oil on scars? (photos)

I am 30 days post op. Can i begin to rub E vitamin Oil on the scars?

Oils for scar

As i can see ,your incisions  look pretty clean from scabs. You may start using oils ( vitamin E , Rosehip ) .  If there is any area with scabs , wait until they are gone.Best wishes 

Breast augmentation post op care

Thank you for your question.  When it comes to post operative care it is always best to consult with your operating surgeon first as each surgeon has their own unique set of instructions for their patients to adhere to.  That being said, we often advise our patients to begin scar care about 3 weeks post surgery, as long as they have had an uneventful recovery process.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Scar treatment

Thank you for your question and photographs. It is important to get cleared by your surgeon before starting any type of scar treatment, they should perform a physical examination and make sure that your incisions have fully closed. If you get the OK to start scar treatment, I would recommend silicone strips. My patients have had very nice results with these along with the strips there are some laser treatment options out there also that can further reduce the appearance of scars. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

Thank you for your question. Once the incisions are healed I advise my patients to apply scar gel or massage incisions with oil in order to minimize their appearance. Your Plastic Surgeon should be the one to advise you about next steps for your scar treatment.
All the best

Scars

Generally, you can use vitamin E oil or any other of the recommended treatments for scars as long as there are no open areas on the scars.  It would be best to discuss with your surgeon what he has found to be the most effective scar treatment.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

Thank you for your question and photos.  Congratulations on your nice result.  I would recommend you discuss this specifically with your surgeon, as we all have different recommendations.  Generally at 30 days, you can start using some sort of scar treatment, as long as all of the incisions are healed. I generally do not recommend vitamin E because I have seen several patients develop skin reactions.  My preference is a silicone containing product because there is an abundance of evidence that silicone products are the most efficacious product for scar healing postop.   Either silicone strips or a silicone gel product like Biocorneum are a great option for you.Good luck.  

Scars

So long as there are no scabs or small open areas on your scars you can use scar products now. We recommend Scar Guard but there are other similar products that contain silicone and other reasonable ingredients.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Vit e

Yes, you should be able to use Vitamin E oil on your scars. However, there are some nice scar products, like Mederma and Scar Guard, that work well, are not greasy, and won't stain your clothes.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon