Muscle isn't active after botox. It was 2 years since treatment. What to do? (Photo)

Hi i had botox for brow lift 2 years ago. It was the frst time. And it went wrong. The botox was placed to far out for the forehead wrinkles. And me face and eyes ended up dropping.. So what can I do now? Why is the upper part of frontalis. As seen in my picture, not working? She put botox in frontalis to limit lines and to have brows lift more. And also in the muscle that pulls eyes down. But why is it not back to normal.. What can I do, this eye also sags a little now

Botox only lasts 3-4 Months

The effects of botox will only last 3-4 months.  2 years is much too long to have any lasting issues from Botox.  It's best to look at your before pictures pre botox, but also factor in you've aged 2 years since the treatment.

Botox - not permanent.

Botox does not have any lasting effects on muscular function, and will last only 3-4 months. It would be helpful to you if you could compare this photo to one of you making the same expression prior to your injections, then you will likely find that this has not changed. Many people cannot move the superior part of there foreheads, especially with a higher forehead, so you will not see wrinkles formed even with deep furrowing. Hope this helps, Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Muscle not active 2 years after botox

Hi Marianne.  Thanks for your question and concerns.  As has been said, Botox wears off after 3-4 months so this area is not moving for other reasons.  Any injuries to that area in the past?  It appears from the picture that injection of Botox in the forehead could be done to relax the rest of the forehead so that all looks even.  I don't think doing Botox again is going to make anything worse if that is what you are worried about.  Certainly looking at you in person would help to detrmine what is needed.  ThanksDr. ODell

Botox results

Botox results usually last 3-4 months and so your issue probably is not Botox related. Most of us usually have some baseline facial asymmetry and this is probably just the case with you. You could always followup with your injector and ask to see your before treatment photos if they were taken. Hope this helps.

Botox and Resuts / What Age To Start? / Only Lasts 3-4 Months

Botox only lasts 3-4 months, this is likely something that was there before. I suggest posting the before photos in the exact same position and light.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Frontalis and botox

I do not think botox caused your issue. You likely did not have frontal function in that area. Botox only lasts 3-4 months.

Asymmetry of forehead long after Botox

I must agree with all the other answers. It is probably not the result of Botox and just underlying asymmetry that I intrinsic to you. This is very common in patients that have never had Botox. I always take pre procedure photos just in cases like this and make sure they are "action" photos too.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Muscle isn't active after Botox. It has been 2 years since treatment.

Thank you for sharing your photograph and experience.  It is difficult to offer definite recommendations without a series of photographs before your Botox treatment and the pattern of injections performed.  After two years any effects from Botox should have completely reversed themselves, creating the wrinkling seen in the rest of your forehead.  Some patients do have asymmetric frontalis activation leading to differing patterns of wrinkles from their left to right sides.  See your injector for an in-person evalauation and discussion of results. 

Botox effects

Thank you for your question Marianne. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Most people enjoy the results of their Botox treatment for 3-4 months. If my patient were to have issues with her muscle two years after a treatment, it likely has another cause. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician