Really hard in the middle of scar after tummy tuck. (photos)

Why is that? Is it the old belly Burton i can feel under the skin? Will it go away? Should i massage it? I am so happy with the result and the swelling is much better. But i still am very hard in the area drawn on the picture. I am 11 weeks post a MMO.

11 Weeks Post Op Scar

This could be an area of scar tissue that will continue to soften over time. Massage may help. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon to examine the area and advise you.

All the best

At 11 weeks, you are probably feeling scar tissue and this can take a while longer for it to soften. If concerned, speak to your surgeon.

Hard spot in scar

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise.  It is not uncommon to have some firmer area of the scar even up to year after surgery. This can be due to swelling, deep stitches, small fluid pockets, and fat necrosis.  I suggest you ask your doctor what he/she thinks it is, good luck.  

Really hard in the middle of scar after tummy tuck.

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your mommy makeover.  Without an in-person examination to feel the area of firmness it is difficult to offer definite advice as it may be the result of thickened scar, remaining suture material, skin tension, a fluid collection, or fat loss.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon, they are in the best position to help you. 

Hard or Firm scar after tummy tuck

There are several possibilities following tummy tuck that can cause a firm scar in that location.  It could be fat necrosis, a suture that has not dissolved or a seroma.  I recommend that you discuss with your surgeon and let them evaluate you.

Fat necrosis.

The area of firmness you describe is probably fat necrosis. This should get better with time and massaging is indeed the recommended treatment, but please check in with your plastic surgeon and direct these questions to him or her. Congratulations on a very nice result.

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon