Full tummy tuck, no muscle repair, post-op 10 days. Very uneven abdomen swelling, should I be worried? (photos)

My left side of my abdomen is swollen up significantly more than the right side. Will that resolve it self? I haven't felt anything I'd describe as pain thus far, except varying soreness. I've been able to walk straight since day1 post-op. Today I went for 1 hour walk and I think my abdomen did swell up a bit, but not sure. When should I be able to jog/run? Also my scar is itching? Thanks in advance.

Full tummy tuck, no muscle repair, post-op 10 days.

Thank you for the question and the photographs. The changes seen in your pictures are normal in the post op period you are in. You are still in the early stages of the healing process. In the initial phase after surgery, within the first three months, there is a period of inflammation and scarring that must occur in order for you to heal. The surgical areas will typically appear as swollen, "lumpy/bumpy", feel tender, tight, etc. Over ensuing months these processes will subside and the inflammatory process gives way to scar softening and remodeling. It is during this time that you will start to see your results appear and look more "natural" as the swelling dissipates and the soft tissues soften. I tell my patients that they will not see their final results for at least to 6 months.

As far as returning to activities I would suggest you discuss this with your plastic surgeon as they are in the best position to make recommendations in the post operative period. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

Congratulation on your tummy tuck. From the photos you look right on track to me. It may take several months before you will not swell at the end of the day. All of the veins and lymphatics have to grow back. Ask your Plastic surgeon about compression garments. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Full Tummy Tuck Recovery

At 10 days postop, you are doing wonderful.   It is too early to tell how things will settle.  It sounds like you may be pushing or wanting to push your recovery along quickly.   If you are noticing significant swelling, we want to avoid any long walks, runs, jogs for the next month.   Your fitness level will not falter and your tummy tuck will heal much safer and quicker.   All the best.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Full tummy tuck, no muscle repair, post-op 10 days. Very uneven abdomen swelling, should I be worried?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Your plastic surgeon, will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Asymmetric swelling may or may not be a concern; sometimes this is part of normal healing, sometimes it can be a sign of a fluid accumulation (such as a seroma).  Your plastic surgery will also be your best resource when it comes to advising you regarding return to specific activities. Best wishes.

Swelling post tummy

I would lay low and not be too active and wear a compression garment to minimize the swelling.This should go down.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Post op Abdominoplasty

Thank you for your question and the photos. You appear to be having a normal post operative recovery for this amount of time out from surgery based on you photos. You are very soon out from your operation and swelling and some bruising are to be expected. It is impossible to tell however if you have swelling as a result of a fluid collection without a physical exam and you should bring this concern up with your surgeon. Every surgeon has individual requirements for the amount of time before you can return to activity. Most of my patients however return to jogging between 6 and 8 weeks after surgery. Be well...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

10 days tummy tuck post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

At this point 10 days post op the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the fter six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Normal swelling following an abdominoplasty

At ten days I would not be concerned about asymmetric swelling.  This is normal and will settle down over the next 6 weeks.  Continue to follow the recommendations of your plastic surgeon.  

Tummy tuck

I appreciate your question.
you are very early on to see about swelling and final results. I have my patients wear a compression garment for 6 weeks and walk as long as possible everyday 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

If you have persistent increasing in swelling, or asymmetric swelling, I would recommend you contact your surgeon.