I'm 48 and want a lower bleph. How long time is recovery? Is fat grafting at the same time a good idea?

Blepharoplasty/Fat Transfer

Typically the recovery period for lower eyelid blepharoplasty is seven days with all patients returning to their full activities (social,exercise, etc.) at two weeks. 
Depending on the initial problem, fat transfer can be a great adjunct to this procedure. This does not add to the recovery period.

Best Regards

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty

A lower blepharoplasty will cause bruising for 1-2 weeks. Sutures are usually removed within 4-7 days.  Swelling may persist for several weeks to months.

Blepharoplasty Recovery

Recovery following blepharoplasty includes one week of sutures and mild swelling followed by a second week of going from good to great.

Howard Sutkin, MD

Recovery from a Lower Blepharoplasty

The recovery from a lower blepharoplasty is between 1-2 weeks depending on the aggressiveness of the surgery.  I commonly perform fat grafting at the same time as a lower blepharoplasty.  It can enhance the overall results.  

Lower lids and fat grafting

Without photos it is hard to judge but more and more patients of mine are getting fat grafting with their facial cosmetic procedures.It is an outpatient procedure and gives really nice results. 

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty and recovery time

The recovery time for a lower blepharoplasty is usually 10-14 days after the surgical procedure. The primary goal for lower eye lid surgery is to remove the fatty deposits creating  the puffiness look in the lower lids. The fat is removed from an internal incision, also known as a trans- conjunctival approach. If there is excess skin present, then a pinch technique of excess skin performed at the lash line.

Lower blepharoplasty and fat grafting

Since you have no photos, it's hard to say whether you need fat grafting.  Suffice it to say if you've lost volume in the face, then fat grafting should be considered during your consultation.  A typical lower bleph operation can take as little 5 days (for a transconjunctival fat removal) to as much as 6 weeks (if it includes a mid-face lift, SOOF lift, cantonal work, etc).  Since this is a very customized surgery in our practice, we always tell our patients exactly how long in our experience their recovery would be expected to last, based on the actual operative plan.

In my practice, I allow patients to resume full activity and exercise at 3 weeks.  But usually by 10-14 days, they are feeling and looking relatively "non surgical".  Fat has gained a lot of attention in recent years as it should.  Fat, or any volume, can take a good result to a great result in the right patient.

John D. Symbas, MD

Healing time for blepharoplasty

The recovery time from blepharoplasty will vary depending upon your definition of being fully recovered. Within several days after surgery, you will feel good enough to manage most household responsibilities and to do desk work. Being seen in public is what varies. There is often minimal bruising, but the swelling can last a bit longer.

I frequently perform fat grafting under the eye. It can provide a very beautiful and natural looking result. It is important to find a plastic surgeon very  experienced with fat grafting who does not overfill. Look at many, many photos and check the credentials of your surgeon carefully.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery

A typical recovery for my patients is usually 2 weeks when they can resume normal everyday activities. Your need for fat grafting will depend on your consultation and exam. Some patients have too much fat and need some removed. Other patients may have fat repositioned to soften a tear trough deformity. In certain cases patients may need fat grafting to the lower eyelid or mid face. You should seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.