Am I a good candidate for lower cheek and chin liposuction? Age 27 The "problem area" is hereditary in my family.

I have chosen a plastic surgeon in Denmark with 25 years of experience (10 as Consultant in Plastic Surgery ) My only concern is that facial lipo is not that common in Denmark!! I mentioned 'Buccal fat pad reduction' but my surgeon felt uncomfortable with the procedure and was afraid it would give me a hollow look as I get older? What do you think? My wish is to get a thinner more defined face. I am ready to leave DK to get it done the best possible way. Kindly give me some feedback!

Chin Contouring with VASER, ThermiRF, ultrasound

This is tough to answer without pictures.  I shy people away from facial liposuction as this can cause damage to nerves if not done correctly and people often regret this as they age (given you lose fat and want to replenish volume with age). As to contouring the chin, I find that VASER liposuction in combination with ThermiRF or ultrasound are best for contouring the chin in those who are candidates but Kybella can be used as an alternative with or without thermage/ultherapy/exilis. See an expert. Best. Dr. Emer

Your question is an important one and I'd strongly suggest that you get a second opinion before proceeding.  I have performed both procedures (cheek lipo and BFP excision) and rarely any longer find indications for cheek liposuction.  The problem is that it is more likely to thin the padding beneath your cheek skin causing the new appearance of unaesthetic wrinkling of your cheeks especially when you smile, where as this doesn't happen with BFP excision.  In rare cases with very rounded cheeks I consider both procedures for a dramatic effect but this is rare.

Good luck and regards,

Jon A. Perlman, M.D., FACS

Certified, ABPS

Member ASAPS

Beverly Hills, CA.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Am I a good candidate for lower cheek and chin liposuction? Age 27

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Conversely, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. 

While the cheeks and neck can be shaped with liposuction by removing excess fat, this will not add volume if the cheeks and chin are flat or weak.  This will require add volume with a dermal filler or facial implant.  Removal of the buccal fat is an outdated procedure which can cause hollowing below the cheeks in my opinion and will "not" add volume to the cheeks themselves.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.