Will fractional laser help my scarring? And will it help with discoloration? (photos)

Im a 24 years old girl, and I've been on accutane for 7 months. (ended July 2015) Now that I'm done I'm left with some scarring. The worst scar I've is from a cortisone shot I got back in June. Shortly after the injection my skin started to sink and I got a huge dent on my cheek and the area turned dark red. My derm didn't warn me that this could happen. The dent has now filled in like 70% but it's still there for sure. My derm recomends fractional laser. But what would you suggest?

Fractional laser and dermal filler.

This is quite an easy scar revision program. I would recommend 2-3 sessions of either Fraxel Re:pair or equal CO2 Fractional laser, you have the option of INFINI RF as well. 

You definitely will have scars that will need filler. These are atrophic scars - 2 sessions and that will give you an 80% improvement. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE

Brisbane Dermatologist

Wait

Do not do any procedure for a minimum of 6 months after accutane. After that subcision can 
fit the depression and subsequently filled with bellafil a long term filler.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Will fractional laser help my scarring? And will it help with discoloration?

It is not recommended to do any sort of resurfacing procedure, including Fraxel® laser/chemical peels/microdermabrasion for 12-15 months AFTER you have FINISHED a course of Accutane, because in that scenario, Accutane patients are much more prone to scarring from any disruption of the skin barrier. To treat your remaining aestehtic issues, in early 2017 please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consulttaopn.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Fractionated Laser and Sculptra or Fillers

Your acne scars need to be treated with a combination of fillers, or collagen producing injections such as Sculptra. Fraxel is the gold standard for treating these acne scars.  It sounds like you are in the right direction.

Scars and laser

I suggest that you wait at least a year after termination of Accutane therapy, prior to doing any surgery, laser therapy or anything invasive to your body.  During this time period, due to the Accutane, you would be prone to terrible and abnormal scarring.
After this period has passed, I feel that Fractional alone, is not enough for your scarring.  A Micro-ablative CO2 laser such as SmartSkin by Cynasure, would be more aggressive and treat the large pitting areas that are depressed.  Fractional is better suited for more minor scarring.  Fortunately, you are very light skinned based on your photos, and you should have a great result after this treatment.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS