My son accidentally hit me in the breast. There is irritation at the incision site. Should I be concerned? (photo)

I am 4.5 weeks post op with a breast aug and lift. I was swimming with my 4 year old and he accidentally hit me in the breast. It didn't hurt so I didn't think much of it. Later I was changing and noticed some discharge in my bra. I checked my bathing suit and it was there too. Light red blood and clear fluid. There was some irritation on the incision site of my areola. I put some bactroban on it. Is this something I should be concerned with?

My son accidentally hit me in the breast. There is irritation at the incision site. Should I be concerned?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue..

If you are having some drainage and irritation, you should check back with your surgeon and have them examine you.  In the meantime, keep the area clean and apply the bactroban twice daily.  This may be an irritated suture, which your surgeon may decide to remove, but you should follow up with him/her to make certain it is not a more serious infection.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon