I would like to get a Tummy tuck my weight is 185 and my height is 5'1, should I lose more weight before tummy tuck?

Goal weight prior to tummy tuck

Before a tummy tuck, you should be at or near your goal weight and your weight should be stable.  This is for 2 reasons.  You will have your best result at a lower BMI. Additionally, weight changes after a tummy tuck can compromise your result.

Weight & tummy tuck

Yes. You need to lower your BMI for a safe surgery. Also, it's important to be at a maintainable weight before any kind of cosmetic surgery in order to insure optimum results. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I would like to get a Tummy tuck my weight is 185 and my height is 5'1, should I lose more weight before tummy tuck

I think that losing weight will allow a better correction with the tummy tuck and will also lower your BMI and thereby reduce risk of infections and complications that are more common in people with higher BMI's

Julio Garcia, MD

Lose weight

Try to lose the more weight that you can with a nutricionist and gym, so you can have better results also you would not have the need of a second round. my best wishes in your journey.

Regards,
Dr. Francisco Rodriguez
Board Certify Plastic Surgeon

Francisco Rodriguez Rosario, MD

Tummy tuck and losing weight, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery. 
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Respectfully, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck and Ideal Body Weight

Thank you for your question!

Weight loss and pregnancy can leave excess flab in the abdominal area that can’t be corrected by following a healthy diet and exercise regimen. Loose, stretched abdominal skin can be effectively removed to reveal a flat, smooth stomach with an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck.  Ideal candidates will be within their desired body weight and possess good overall health.

Best of wishes@

Body weight and TT

it would certainly be ideal for you to lose weight b4 surgery.that would benefit your results and it would also be good for your health in the long run. however, many patients struggle with that. the surgery itself will only have a mild change (in any) in your overall body weight. you would get some improvement in the shape and contour of your abdomen, hard to say without pictures.

Weight loss prior to tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Your current Body Mass Index (BMI) is 35. The best results are achieved when you are close to your ideal body weight (BMI < 25), so I think weight loss prior to surgery would result in safer surgery with better results. Hope this helps.

Lose weigth for tuck

Thanks for posting. Ideally, your BMI should be under 30 for elective cosmetic surgery.  Losing weight will allow your surgeon to remove more skin!  Please see attached web reference. Good luck!

ALWAYS best to be at a ht vs wt relationship before a TT surgery. In your case, realistically, I would recommend a weight of 140 pounds. But if you can not try for at least 20 pounds loss... Good Luck.