Two times gynecomastia surgery but yet not satisfied. Chest feels loose and shape keeps 'fluctuating.' What should I do?(photos)

22 year old male here, underwent gynecomastia surgery at the age of 19. 3 weeks later, was happy with the result but few months down the line I found the size fluctuating with chest getting bloated at times be it after shower or randomly. Two weeks ago at 22 I underwent 2nd surgery and something similar is occurring. It's frustrating. The area around nipple feels hard right after the first surgery, the shape is uneven. Chest is loose and it keeps changing its size. I do wear compression garment.

Two times gynecomastia surgery but yet not satisfied.

It is too early to give a proper opinion. Based on the first picture, however, it appears that your shape looks satisfactory for two weeks post surgery. Please be patient as it can take several months for the final shape to appear.

All The Best !

India Plastic Surgeon

Shape Change is Potential Asymmetry

Breast asymmetry is the condition when both breasts are not equal in size. In men, gynecomastia can include Breast asymmetry is the condition when both breasts are not equal in size. In men, gynecomastia can include only one or both breasts.  Unilateral gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, while the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape.  Bilateral Asymmetry occurs when gynecomastia is present in both breasts, although each to a different degree.  The amount of glandular tissue can affect the size, shape, and location on the chest wall of the enlarged area, the size of the areolas, and protrusion and diameter of the nipples.

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Often in this case, individuals who suffer from extreme unilateral gynecomastia have experienced severe psychological effects and developed intense social anxiety. The large, and unequal breast may also interfere with developing intimate, personal relationships. Men who develop even mild cases of gynecomastia can suffer from low self-esteem, as well as depression.

Like women, most men have breasts of slightly differing size and shape. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the areola often shrinks when gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola symmetry may improve.

The conditions that make up asymmetry can often be corrected to some degree. It is very individual and varies for each patient. Every prospective surgical candidate should discuss this condition with an experienced plastic surgeon prior to surgery. The plastic surgeon’s role is to educate each individual patient as to the possible degree of improvement that can be realistically achieved in his particular case.

Look at the before-and-after photographs of asymmetric gynecomastia below and note ones that resemble your own condition. These pictures will provide you a sense of the results that can be achieved in unilateral male breast reduction surgery. Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes.

As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Exuberant Swelling or Scar Tissue

Dear masterblaster189,

It is hard to say what exactly was going on with your chest before you had the second operation. However, I can assure you that if you are only two weeks since the redo operation, you really need to give this a good six months for the swelling to completely subside. Gynecomastia surgery is the most common procedure I do in my practice, and I have found that a significant number generate exuberant scar tissue under the surface that responds well to an injection of cortisone. It certainly would be too early in your case to consider that, but if after four months it feels like the swelling is exuberant, particularly since this was a redo operation, that might be a consideration for you and your surgeon to discuss.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Gynecomastia

There are several ways to do this surgery. Did you have liposuction as a reduction? Did you have any glandular tissue excised? You may need some skin excision. Perhaps you could have a skin tightening procedure done. You are only 2 weeks out at this point. It is far too early to say you have a problem.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon