Smoking once in like a month 2 months post op, does it afftect hair transplant yield?

I'm concerned because on many forums and even my dr. said if you smoke you should quit, and since I don't smoke I didn't really think about it.. but now, apparently I've had hukkah twice in the last two months. I can presume that just twice in two months won't cause any issue in the yield? Please clarify the effect of smoking hukkah once in a while to the effect on hair yield after a HT?

Smoking and hair transplant

Smoking is not recommended before or after any procedure due to its effect on minimizing the blood supply of the healing areas.  None-the-less, smoking twice in the last 2 months will likely not harm your grafts however in general, smoking is not recommended as it is associated with so many other vascular and respiratory diseases.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Does smoking negatively impact hair transplant yield?

There are not studies that evaluate the impact of smoking on hair transplants.  The obvious answer is that smoking is not a good idea following a transplant, but does smoking really limit graft growth?  I've treated many smokers over the past 26 years and I've never been able to link poor growth with smoking.  Thus, I'd conclude that smoking does not harm graft yield.  There is no question that smokers have less bleeding during their transplant, which suggests decreased blood flow to the recipient area, but grafts seem to grow equally well in smokers.  Certainly, I do not believe that you harmed your grafts smoking the hukkah twice in the past two months.  Of course there are many illnesses linked to smoking.  Smoking related illnesses are the primary reason to avoid smoking.  Your grafts should be fine.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you have concerns about what you did after surgery it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.

If you have concerns about what you did after surgery it is best to discuss this with your surgeon.  Smoking causes micro-vessels to constrict and reduces blood supply.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking and hair transplant growth

Smoking may impact growth in some people byu reducing the blood supply to the recipient area so smoking is not a good idea

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon