Do I require masseter muscle reduction only or do I need jaw bone reduction also? (photos)

I have a large jaw, will jaw reduction by botox helps or I need any orthogonic surgery also...

Masseters and botox

Masseter muscle hypertrophy can be treated with botox to create a slimming of the jawline in some patients.  Most commonly this is seen in Asian populations.  There seems to be a great misunderstanding of how this works in the lay world.  Botox in this muscle doesn't create any slimming that is noticeable in patients that do not exhibit significant masseter muscles.   The best thing would be an in person consultation with an expert.  Facial slimming in the absence of masseter muscle hypertrophy can be accomplished with other surgical and non-surgical techniques like liposuction or masking with fillers.  Jaw reduction should be avoided unless necessary for orthodontic reasons.

New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Masseter reduction

I would begin with masseter treatment with Botox. The results can be dramatic in some cases.  After evaluating the results, then further treatment or surgical recommendations can be made. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jaw reduction

There is no substitute for a real consultation, where I can feel the strength of the masseters and palpate the angle of the jaw. From this picture it does not look like you need to reduce the bone.

Just to be clear on terms, orthognathic is generally needed to correct occlusion.  It can set the jaw back (or bring it forward) which does have an effect on the face appearance.  There are several jaw contouring procedures that can be done without changing the occlusion at all.  

Best of Luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Masseter Reduction

Yes, botox can help reduce the masseter. I suggest seeing an expert who does this treatment frequently to get the best results and to keep the shape that you want.  Sometimes this is best combined with some fillers to contour the entire jawline or radiofrequency treatments to tighten and shape. you appear tho to have a round face that likely needs facial lipo, jaw/cheek implants, and buccal fat pad reduction to really get improvement. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Masseter versus jaw bone reduction

Any reduction of your jaw bone should be based only on the nature of how your teeth fit together (your bite) or how your jaw joint (TMJ) is functioning.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

MASSETER MUSCLE REDUCTION

It seems that you just have a wide lower third of the face and Botox in the Masseter muscle will be just enough for a reduction on the width of that area. Surgery for that purpose only will be too much trauma. Some patients may need to also get a buccal fat pad removal to get even more reduction.

Reducing massters

This is easily done using Botox. Jaw surgery is a major undertaking and probably not worth the time, money, and discomfort. Stick with what's simple.

Steven F. Weiner, MD