My left eye is open properly but my right eye is open half of the left eye? (photo)

is it possible that both eye open equally and look like same in size??

Doctor Answers 8

Congenital ptosis

Your diagnosis is unclear from the photograph. You may have "congenital ptosis" with poor levator function - or you may have a large dehiscence of the right levator muscle. An examination and measurements are required to distinguish between the two. An oculoplastic surgeon can help you with your diagnosis and suggest which type of procedure is indicated. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Frontalis sling ptosis surgery

You have severe right upper eyelid ptosis. Traditional eyelid ptosis surgery is unlikely to help you. You likely need frontalis sling operation. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

Eyelid Repair

Thank you for your question. You have what we call ptosis. Your right upper eyelid does not elevate properly. This is more then likely secondary to your muscle not working properly or attached in the right location. This can be repaired in an operation that typically takes less then an hour and is performed under twilight sedation. Pain is minimal and recovery is quick. Hopefully you find this information helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA
Tampa Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 61 reviews


It appears that you have severe ptosis and will likely require some sort of sling. Best to see a specialist in this area.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Ptosis repair with frontalis sling

If you born with this condition the treatment is sling to open the eyelid using the forehead muscle. This is a complex surgery and need to find a qualified plastic surgeon with experience in this area.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 122 reviews

Droopy right upper lid

Your right upper lid is drooping and is medically known as eyelid ptosis.  Surgery can help this condition but is depends on whether you were born with this, had trauma or it occurred suddenly.  I would recommend seeing an oculoplastic specialist who can help figure it out.  This would be covered by medical insurance.  Good luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

You need an oculoplastic surgeon

You can find one near you at the site. An oculoplastic surgeon will be able to evaluate you and determine what treatment is appropriate.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Edison Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews


Thank you for sharing your question and photo. You have ptosis (droopy eyelid) and would likely benefit from surgical repair by an Oculoplastic Surgeon. Make an appointment for comprehensive evaluation.  Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.