I had a septoplasty on Thursday but still feel congestion, is this normal?

Nasal Congestion 1 Week After Septoplasty

Dear bikesh74~

Thank you for your question. It is normal to have nasal congestion a week after septoplasty. After septoplasty the nasal lining is usually swollen from the surgery, which could cause nasal congestion or obstruction. The swelling will decrease with time, and usually the breathing improves as the swelling decreases. You may also have nasal stents or packing in place temporarily that could be causing your symptoms. Please follow-up with your surgeon with any concerns.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Sincerely,

Amy Hsu

#Septoplasty

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS