i am 26 and I've lost almost 90% of my hair. How many grafts do I need for my transplantation? (Photo)

Tell me exact number grafts that i need and how much number of sittings i need for transplantation and the approximate cost of the hair transplantion. Which technique will be better for me.FUT or FUV

I am 26 and I've lost almost 90% of my hair. How many grafts do I need for my transplantation?

Greetings Thank you for your question and photos.

you will need 2 sessions for your transplantation to cover your whole bold area. Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. 

Advanced hair loss at young age

You have advanced degree of hair loss, however if your donor hair is nice and dense you may have hair transplant in the frontal portion of your scalp to frame your face.  You need to see a specialist to evaluate your donor area. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

90% bald

This is a very difficult situation, yet doable, but it will be very expensive and it will require a strong commitment from you.
I would first start with medical management consisting of blocking the DHT a little laser light therapy and consideration of PRP injections to decrease the size of the recipient  site.
In all probability this will not be performed @ a single session and will require multiple sessions and possibly from multiple sites depending on how experienced the hair transplant surgeon is.
Please do your homework and see multiple consultations until you're comfortable with the plan and Good Luck !

Is a 26-year-old with a Norwood Class VI/VII pattern a suitable candidate for a hair transplant?

Thank you for submitting this excellent and important question that highlights a common challenge for hair transplant surgeons.

First, there is no "exact number" of grafts it takes to fill in a given area; rather, there is a range of grafts that can provide reasonable density in an area of reasonable size for a person with reasonable expectations. It is important to understand that there is a limit to the coverage (size of the area transplanted) and density (thickness) that can be achieved with one or more hair transplants. The amount of donor hair available is not limitless: many men--and you appear to be one of them--lose an amount of hair that exceeds the total amount of hair available for transplanting. Put another way, the recipient demand often exceeds the donor supply. It appears that you are a Norwood Class VI, possibly heading toward Class VII, with low sides (adding to the demand for donor hair). The truth of the matter is that unless your expectations are extremely modest, there is probably no number of grafts, and no number of sessions that will provide you with a pleasing cosmetic result. (It would be different if you were in your 50s or 60s.) If you want to explore the possibility of a hair transplant, you'll need to be ready to make some major compromises with regard to the look you'd be willing to accept. You should consult at least 2 surgeons with many years of experience and good reputations to help advise you. Non-surgical options would include wearing a hair system or shaving your head (with or without scalp micropigmentation).

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplantation for large bald area?

I would advise you not to have a hair transplant unless you just want the central Toft in front made and nothing else if you try to spread the remaining hear you have over the entire bald area it will look silly. See a very experienced surgeon for this

Class 7 balding pattern in 26 year old

It is highly unusual to transplant such a balding pattern. You need special densities to accomplish this and doctors who have done it before.  See the web reference below for an example of such a pattern and the number of graft received to accomplish this. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

26 and very bald

You would need 20,000 grafts to get decent coverage. You likely could have only 8000 grafts taken from your fringe in your lifetime. My personal recommendation would be to consider transplants only if you can accept a limited coverage result. Only a hairpiece will give you complete coverage. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Realistic expectations

You are bald.  Hair transplant surgery is a great option but it will NOT give you full dense head of hair.  You need to have realistic expectation and a reasonable goal of what you want.  

FUT and FUE are both great surgeries but each has it's strengths and weaknesses.  
Many doctors push FUE or Neograft or ARTAS claiming "no scar" or "minimally invasive".
Many doctors dissuade patients from strip surgery asking "why would you want a big scar".

Don't focus on the type of surgery.  Focus on your goals and the end result.

FUE is just a method or harvesting grafts. YES, you can have surgery to fix your hair line. FUE may be a great option. Ultimately you need an exam by a doctor first and don't always focus on FUE or a type of surgery. Focus on results.

I was an engineer working with Dr. Rassman in 1998 (before I became a doctor) . My work involved a concept of a robot which would use a special optical sighting system to align the hairs for an automated FUE. This work became U.S. Patent 6572625 that we licensed to the ARTAS robot. Similar technology from our U.S. Patents are used in the NeoGraft. I perform FUE in my practice with my hybrid FUE instruments, ARTAS, or even NeoGraft. My point is that I am very familiar with the FUE, ARTAS, NeoGraft, and all forms of harvesting hair follicles.

However, the focus of surgery should be on RESULTS. Not how a doctor takes out the grafts. From a donor scarring perspective, YOUR HAIR IS LONG. If you are ever going to shave your head or cut your hair really short, you should probably get the FUE. That is it. If a "line scar" scares you, then get the FUE.

Just remember a 4000 graft FUE scar is like having a collective open wound hole the size of a baseball on the back of the head. There is nothing minimally invasive about that. I also perform Scalp MicroPigmentation (SMP) and fix horrible FUE scars routinely. These is nothing "scarless" about FUE.

I have performed surgery on Dr. Rassman and his family members using the strip technique. The linear scar on Dr. Rassman is a pencil thin line you probably will have a hard time finding. The point is, a strip surgery scar is not as terrible as the Internet makes it out to be.

Both FUE and Strip surgeries has its place. Don't be caught up in marketing and doctors who try to sell you one type surgery.

The focus should be on Results.
A bad hair transplant result from FUE or Strip is like Herpes. You'll carry it with you for life (with either thousands of dots or a line).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon