Deviated nose. What treatment would I need to straighten it? (Photo)

Hi my whole of the nose is bent to the left. Its exactly the same as in the picture. I have no breathing or any other problems. There is no hump, i dont even want to change my nose tip. Just want my nose to be straightened. Please suggest me what treatment would i need? Thanks

Deviated nose. What treatment would I need to straighten it?

There may be several maneuvers that may be needed in addition to shifting the bones around.  This can be done with a closed approach to minimize scarring.

Straighten a crooked nose

Your entire nasal structure appears to fall to the left with your columella and tip not aligned to the midline of your lip. You have a few other subtle asymmetries of the lips and eyes. A full exam and photos are required but I suspect you have an underlying skeletal asymmetry, with the left facial skeleton not as developed as the right. While a rhinoplasty can improve your nasal position, you may be prone to always appearing slightly shifted to the left. Seek out an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for a full exam to discuss what is achievable in your case with your anatomy.

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

A rhinoplasty procedure is required to straighten the crooked nose. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, straightening and narrowing the bridge line with osteotomies, and placement of a spreader graft in the midportion of the nose where it is concave. The closed rhinoplasty procedure is done under general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure, and all of the incisions are placed on the inside of the nose. Rhinoplasty for the crooked nose is a difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience. For more information  and many before and after examples of straightening a crooked nose, please see the link and the video below

Post Traumatic Rhinoplasty

Dear aashima:

Thank you for the photographs. Your nose is extremely deviated, which most probably means you have a nasal septal deviation and possibly a dislocation.  You also appear to have an outfracture of the left nasal bone and an infracture on the right with collapse of your right upper lateral cartilage.  To improve the appearance and function of your nose surgery would require repairing the septum, osteotomies to mobilize the nasal bones and a right sided spreader graft or flap.  Camouflage grafting to the osteocartilaginous vault may also be needed. This should make your nose straighter and breathing easier although without physical examination it is difficult to say for sure. Realistic expectations are also important. Please seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon with rhinoplasty experience. The Rhinoplasty Society is a good place to start. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Nasal surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from spreader grafts and osteotomies to help make your nose straight.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. The upper part of your nose is made out of bone. The lower portion of your nose is made out of cartilage. It appears that the boney nasal pyramid (located over the upper part of the nose) and the lower cartilagenous septum are both shifted to your left. It's important to get a good history and physical on the patient before coming up with a definitive operative plan. From what I can see it appears that one has to straighten both the upper and lower part of the nose. There are different techniques to straighten the cartilagenous septum including using techniques to help it bend to the right. This includes scoring techniques, suturing techniques and cartilage grafting techniques. Cuts into the bone will be necessary to help straighten the nasal boney pyramid. For more information please see the enclosed video and I hope you find this helpful. 

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

The nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a nasal surgery (rhinoplasty) and a septoplasty which are typically done at the same time. A natural appearing nose can be achieved when the procedures are performed by an artistic plastic surgeon with extensive experience in nasal surgery using either a closed or open rhinoplasty technique.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

In pursuit of the straighter nose

• Thanks for including pictures!  Your nose is extremely deviated, which most probably means you have a septal deviation and possibly a dislocation.  You also appear to have an outfracture of the left nasal bone and an Infracture on the right with collapse of your right upper lateral cartilage.  To improve your nose would require repairing the septum, osteotomies to mobilize the bones and a right spreader graft. This should make your nose straighter, though realistically, it may not be perfectly straight.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon