5 months post op, my chest deformed after gynecomestia surgery by liposuction. What can I do? (photos)

I had a liposuction done on my chest fir gynecomestia in march'14. But I still have the lumps on both sides and my chest is deformed on the left side. Kindly advise if the operation was not done properly and should I need a revision . My doctor said that it will subside with the time but I cannot feel so. I have a slight pain on the left side of my chest when I touching the lump area. Kindly advise me what to do .

5 Months Post Gynecomastia Surgery

As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

In the future, if you are still experiencing your crater concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.  They may possibly be able to address the issue with fat grafting or cosmetic fillers if you are a good fit.

Residual gynecomastia mass after surgery.

I am sorry to tell you that liposuction for glandular gynecomastia is usually NOT a good surgical option, but there are still many surgeons who will not consider or feel comfortable with excision of the gynecomastia tissues, and use ultrasonic liposuction instead.

Ultrasonic energy ruptures fat cells, but even aggressive and vigorous ultrasonic treatment of glandular gynecomastia tissues will not "melt" them or make them go away. In fact, frustration with the minimal amount of tissue coming out of the lipo cannulas often makes these ill-advised surgeons work all the harder, potentially causing more scar formation and adding to the less-than-ideal outcome, which you clearly have.

This is so common it is not even malpractice or negligence; it's just inadequate and inexperienced, IMHO. Your operation was done properly, but with technique that time has shown to be insufficient. You need to schedule additional consultations with ABPS-certified plastic surgeons experienced in excisional gynecomastia, not just some "other" form of liposuction or SmartLipo.

Please also be careful to NOT ask for removal of "as much as possible" as this can lead to over-resection and indentations or even adherence of the nipple areola complexes to the underlying pec muscles, causing ugly and deforming indentations when you flex your chest muscles. Discuss this with your chosen surgeon. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon