Uneven nose tip swelling 5 weeks after rhinoplasty. Is it okay?

It's been almost 5 weeks when I had a rhinoplasty. Everything seems to be okay but my ride side of the tip is more swollen. Initially the swelling was proportionate. But as the swelling is coming down with time. There is an uneven swelling in the tip. Is it a concern ? Will it go down ? Ps may I sleep on my right. That's why right side more swollen.

It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are still early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision. In regards to sleeping, at 5 weeks you should be fine sleeping on your side. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon