Lift necessary?

Is it always necessary to get a lift if your breasts sag a little? Is there an option to just go up in size of implant until your breast fills out. My breasts do sag from breast feeding, but I want larger breast implants anyway. I would like to avoid the extra scarring if necessary.

Lift necessary with implants?

Thank you for your question.  No, a lift is not always recommended.  The best way to determine if a lift is needed is for an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what is needed to achieve the best aesthetic goals.  Best of luck to you!

Photos for advices

Thanks for the question.

I recommend you to send your photos to us to tell you what kind of procedure you will need.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast lift with implants: An in-person consultation will give you the answer

It's not always necessary to get a lift but the only way a definitive recommendation can be made as to whether or not you need a lift is by an in-person evaluation with your surgeon. If you are only mildly droopy, sometimes breast implants alone with give the illusion of a lift. Hope this information helps; good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lift with augmentation

Implants just add volume and larger implants are obviously heavier than small ones.  This also may lead to m ore sagging. Not all patients want the incisions of a lift and are satisfied with just the augmentation. They can always have the lift later on.

Implants without a lift could be an option

Thanks for your question! If you just have some droop of breast tissue, but your nipples are at or above the crease under your breast, you may do just fine with just getting implants.  While implants do not truly lift your breast, they can give you enough fullness to fill out loose skin and improve the appearance of your breasts. When you have your consultation, discuss your expectations with your surgeon and he or she will be able to recommend whether proceeding with just an implant would give you the result that you hope to achieve.  Good luck going forward with your procedure!

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery

Thank you for your question. For women that have lost volume from breast feeding, many times a breast implant alone will fill the breast envelope without the need for a lift. Factors that determine if a lift is needed include amount of loose skin, the amount of breast droop and nipple position. In some instances, placement of a breast implant in front of the muscle or partially under the muscle can give the breast a little more lift than a breast implant completely under the muscle.

Lift?

It depends upon your exam and what you wish to achieve. In some cases, larger implants may be enough without a lift.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Skin laxity

The need for a lift can not be determined without photographs. A small degree of skin laxity can be resolved with precise implant placement 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Breast surgery

Hello and thank you for your question. It depends on how much sagging you have.  With a small to moderate amount of sagging, an implant with a dual plane technique can provide some lift.  With more significant sagging, you may require a lift.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lift with implants

Thanks for your question. It really depends on the degree of skin laxity you have. With no droop or a little droop implants alone may be enough. There are different types of lifts depending on the amount of laxity as well.  I find a little laxity even after augmentation more natural looking. Yes, larger implants fill out more tissue, but larger implants can droop more over time and may not achieve you goals. I always recommend finding the implant that fits your frame and your goals and then consider a lift if needed with the correct size. Some patients are in what I call a gray zone, where they may or may not require a lift after the implants settle. In my own practice many of my patients will be prepared for a lift, but let me decide at surgery if I think it is necessary once the implants are in. In some cases we will place implants, allow them to settle and make the decision together once the implants have dropped. Lifts can always be added but not taken away.

The link below goes into some of this thinking as well.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon