I Have the Mirena Birth Control, Does It Have to Be Removed Before Getting a Tummy Tuck?

Mirena Removed before Tummy Tuck

I do not require the removal of the Mirena for this surgery. The risk of pregnancy during your recovery period is higher than the thromboembolism that could be caused with the surgery while having the IUD.

Birth control

The concentration of hormones in the newer birth control products is so low that the risk of developing blood clots with these has been significantly reduced

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Mirena Removal Before Tummy Tuck

You do not need to remove your mirena birth control before tummy tuck.  If you have a history of blood clots however, I would remove it prior to surgery.

Mirena before tummy tuck

There is no reason to remove the Mirena before surgery.  Your surgeon should not be anywhere close to it! Thank you for the question.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

In my experience, the risk of pregnancy after a tummy tuck is much worse that the very small risk of problems from birth control. Do not remove it before, just let the doctor know about it.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Birth control before surgery

Typically birth control does not have to be discontinued for a surgery.  However, there is a slightly higher risk of blood clots in women taking oral contraceptives and possibly with a low dose delivery device such as merena as well.  Stopping this medication (or removing it) may lower this risk but it needs to be considered in light of all risk factors in an individual patient.

Removing Mirena with tummy tuck?

I do not think you should need to remove your IUD in order to have a tummy tuck.  You should discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery)

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Mirena Birth Control, Does It Have to Be Removed Before Getting a Tummy Tuck?

I know of no reason why the device would need to be removed in preparation for a tummy tuck. When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.