How long does a new incision take to close? (Photo)

I developed an infection during week 2 following my tummy tuck. My doctor had to make a cut in original tummy tuck incision to allow abscess to better drain. I've had the new incision for almost 2 weeks and its still draining. How long should I expect it to remain open. PS said it had to close on its own.

Length of Time for Incisions to Close

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. You may want to consider some of the options below to treat your incision yourself and help the healing and scarring process.It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen . It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle. These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard , Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Healing post abscess

Hello Thank you for your question and photo. It can typically take up to a few weeks for healing to occur from the inside out. If you have any further concerns after this time period, please see your board certified plastic surgeon.Best regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD