Will the doctor turn my surgery down if I don't lose weight?

i was asked to lose 25-30Lb. what if i don't lose 25-30 Lb, will the doctor say she can't do the surgery or will she still do the surgery? what will be done at this point?

Should you lose weight?

Ideal candidates are at a stable weight,  in good health , and have excess fat in some parts of the body and too little in other regions.  Gaining weight before the procedure is to no advantage and when you lose weight again the fat cells will shrink just like the donor site fat cells.  Typically, the transferred fat results in a significant increase in volume of the body site being treated.

BBL

This is something you really need to discuss with your surgeon; they may feel that it is too risky to your health to perform the surgery if your weight isn’t reduced. I recommend that my patients have a BMI of 30 or less to have the best and safest results. If your BMI is higher than that I would recommend getting it down to at least 30. I also recommend that my patients remain at their goal weight for at least 6 months before having surgery done for optimal results.  It is important to remember to live a healthy, balanced lifestyle through diet and exercise, even after surgery for best results and to reduce your chance of health related issues. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Lose Weight?

I recommend asking your doctor what will happen, as they know you and your case best.  It appears as though you are considering going to the Dominican Republic for your surgery.  Be sure to have a plan for your recovery, and for complications that may arise after you get home.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

This is a good question for you doctor. However, depending on your situation, other surgeons may consider doing it. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Lose the most weight that you can

The doctors ask the patients to lose weight for 2 reasons:

1st SAFETY: high BMI increases the risk of complications, like seromas and DVT (blood clots that can cause pulmonary embolism)

2nd RESULTS: You may not get the best results if you do plastic sugery with obesity. Plastic surgery will improve your shape but it is not a treatment to lose weight. If you do the surgery and lose 25 to 30lb after there will be loose skin on your belly or sagging of the breasts.

Lauro Avellan, MD
Brazil Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon