Could excess fat be successfully grafted from mid-section to breasts? Fuller breasts/ flatter tum would look great (Photo)

I'm very small all over except for my middle. I'm concerned the excessive visceral/ subcutaneous fat that seems to be untouchable by diet and exercise will have a major impact my health/ wellbeing down the line. Could this fat be grafted to my breasts? I read that in conjunction w the Brava system there have been some very natural beautiful results. I'm 22 years old and otherwise very active and healthy. However, a local surgeon I spoke w said it was out of the question and unsafe. Why?

Could excess fat be successfully grafted from mid-section to breasts

Fat transfer to the breasts is becoming more popular for enhancing breast volume and correcting asymmetries.  A consultation with a plastic surgeon will determine if you are a good candidate in addition to learning risks and alternatives.  Some of the risks include loss of fat, cysts formation and infection.  The fat also leaves calcifications which at one time was a concern for falsely appearing like a cancer on mammogram.  Many recent studies have examined this and is no longer as great of a concern.  Dr. Michael Omidi

Be positive.

The short answer is..yes, you could have this done. It is becoming much more common. There are many things to consider in such a case- like effect of this procedure on future mammograms, what would be the effect of harvesting of the fat from your abdomen, would more than a single operation be required to obtain expected results, etc. It would require a consultation with your surgeon to see if you are a good match for the procedure. I would seek a second opinion if I were you.

Richard J. Beil, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for breast augmentation

Many people have wondered if you could just take the fat from my abdomen and put it in my breasts.  It can be done, but there are unanswered questions.  Will the fat remain alive and how much of the increase in breast size will persist?  Will mammograms be more difficult to read in the future?  Will the stem cells that are in the fat react differently in the breast, leading to a higher chance of breast cancer?  Will the significantly higher cost of fat grafting vs. breast implants be justified, especially in light of these unanswered questions?  Most surgeons would answer the last question by recommending implants.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Fat graft breast augmentation

Visceral fat is the fat around your internal organs which cannot be accessed by liposuction.  Subcutaneous fat is below the skin and can be accessed by liposuction.   Looking at your photo I would suggest a tummy tuck with breast implant augmentation.

John Burns, MD

Fat Injection Breast Augmentation

It is not a question of whether your abdominal fat can be removed by liposuction and transferred to your breasts, it is a question of how effective it would be for either the abdominal reduction or the breast augmentation. The bigger concern would be if the breast augmentation results obtained by the fat injections would reliably meet your size expectation.

Fat grafting to breasts

It is certainly possible to perform liposuction on your abdomen and then fat graft to your breasts. Personally I prefer breast augmentation with implants. I find them more reliable.

Could excess fat be successfully grafted from mid-section to breasts?

Fat transfer from the abdomen (or other areas) to the breast is becoming more mainstream, but still done by only a minority of surgeons. You can get a modest volume increase. Just remember the abdominal fat cells, no matter where they are located, (ie transfered to the breast) will always continue to act like abdominal fat cells. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Fat grafting to Breast

Excellent question. Your subcutaneous fat not visceral fat can be harvested and transferred to the breast. I have done this many times sometimes with and without implants. The Brava system has bee described as a way to expand the breast to allow for more fat retention. My patients have not used this system and still have nice results without the cumbersome device. Years ago there was skepticism about fat grafting as it related to fat necrosis and diffuculty in screening for breast cancer. Numerous studies have negated that concern.Good Luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Fat transfer from tummy to breast

This procedure is definitely being done. Liposuction may be performed and moved up into the breast to augment the breast. You can pair this with Brava, but I have not provided Brava to my patients and have had very good results. (Brava presents a very cumbersome process and compliance has been difficult - I know I could not do it!)  With fat transfer, I predict increase in breast size from 1/2 to full cup size, no more, and the fat transfer may be performed a second or third time to increase size more.
It is important not only to assess the breast but also the abdomen. In contouring the abdomen, a decision needs to be made about liposuction vs. tummy tuck. It is unclear from the photos which would be more appropriate for you to get the best abdominal contour.

Michele A. Shermak, MD