Would I be a candidate of a short scar face lift? (photos)

I am a 36 year old female. I had ultherapy about 1.5 months ago, and I am experiencing volume loss. Especially under eyes and cheeks. I also believe my malar fat pads has dropped. I believe this is giving me an aged look. I have attached two pictures. You can see what I looked like when I was younger, and now. The one with the braids is me now. I would like a few different options that would benefit me.

Facial rejuvenation with volume

Hi and thanks for your question.  I don't think a facelift woujd be appropriate, as this procedure is better suited to address lax skin which, from your photos, you don't really have.  I think adding volume to your face, particularly along your cheekbones may give you the look you want.  This can easily be done with a filler like Voluma -- it's safe, and the result will be immediate with no downtime, and no need for incisions, anesthesia, or an operating room.  Make sure you're seen in person by a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery in order to get the best opinion about what's appropriate for you.  
Best of luck,  
Keith Blechman MD

Facial rejuvenation with volume

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Best of luck,  
Keith Blechman MD

Short Scar Facelift

When we have analyzed the actual length of scar for a “short scar face lift” it really is not that short. As a matter of fact, it may end up being longer. Some of the marketing elements for this 1974 operation are really not all they are hyped about. Although I have not examined you, the area of your face that has deflated your malar fat pad as well as contributed to your jowling would benefit from a SMAS face lift and autologous fat transfer. There is really no reason why you cannot have a face lift that has a scar that goes in front of your tragus, in front of your ear lobe and into your temporal hair line as this will have little consequence for someone who has even a modicum of skill with makeup to cover these incisions completely. Adding fat to your mid face is something that adds a lot of volume and rejuvenation to the area of the cheeks and eyes.

Short Scar Facelift

Short scar facelift not the answer

Besides the fact that you are too young for a facelift, it is also no the right procedure for you. Restoring mid facial fullness is achieved with either a midface lift, which is an endoscopic procedure, or with implants or fillers. That's the direction you should be heading in. 

Short scar facelift not the answer

Avoiding a facelift in a 36 year old

Facial volume loss occurs naturally with age, from fat, bone, and muscle loss. While age is not absolute factor for facelift consideration, most plastic surgeons will avoid a facelift in woman in her 30's. Even a short scar face lift may not be a good choice. Better options to consider for this age group to improve under eye area or cheeks would be facial fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Sculptra, etc), fat injections, or cheek implants. Speak with a plastic surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you.

Dr. Chaboki

Avoiding a facelift in a 36 year old

Dr. Chaboki

36 year old facelift

I think I answered your question already, but I think you are better off with fillers. Best of luck.

36 year old facelift

Facelift

Hello Bambi1, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

I agree with the other surgeons in that you are NOT a candidate for a facelift. 

I think at this point fillers such as voluma are great long term and reversible options for someone with your volume loss and age.

Best of Luck, 

DrS

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Hello Bambi1, 

Best of Luck, 

DrS

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Young people (in their 30's) almost never need facelifts, they may need Volume

As we age, the cheeks are often the first things to go. We lose volume. The best treatment is replace the lost cheek volume. Voluma is the latest and greatest for this. It is also the only FDA approved filler for facial volume loss. If you are still thinking about a facelift, it really doesn't address cheeks but more for jowls and the neck and you have a nice jawline.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

A face lift is not going to make you look like your younger self.
Volume replacement by Fillers is a preferred option, not a facelift. The reason being, at your age  you are more likely to have volume loss in the face rather than soft tissue laxity ( looseness).
All the best

All the best

Facelift??

Volume, volume, volume.... thats all you need. Don't do a facelift, its not going to help, a couple syringes of voluma, juvederm or a fat transfer will do wonders for you. 
A face lift or mini lift or whatever you want to call it, is designed to improve the jowls, you don't have any jowls, you do have volume loss in your cheeks and tear trough area and adding volume will give you the lift and rejuvenation you are looking for. 

Facelift??

Facelift before 40

I would cast another vote for no need for facelift at this time ,or anytime soon.Continue to explore filler options(just like surgery they have to be expertly done so you don't look like a Real Housewife from Mars) and other nonsurgical alternatives to enhance the natural beauty you already have.

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Facelift before 40

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon