Three weeks post op, strange results. Advice? (photo)

What in the world is going on with these implants? My doctor is remaining nonplussed but to me, the right side is high and tight with twinges constantly, the left side has dropped significantly and seems to have a triangle shape (the flattening on the outer side)? I am 3 weeks post op going from a 34a to 400cc's under the muscle high profile textured mentor silicone implants. Please advise, thanks!

Concerns over asymmetry

Thank you for your question!

I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio, and the nipples will move up higher. Currently, there may be excessive upper pole fullness (> 55:45) in both sides, so in time, this will change.

Please note that it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. Since you are only 3 weeks into recovery, there is a lot of time for the “drop and fluff.” If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

With persistent inward and downward breast massaging, along with pole wraps, the breasts drop.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Breast augmentation

You are very early post-op and the tissues will relax and the swelling will go down with time. Best of luck.

Strange Results

Hi and thank you for your question.

You are early in your recovery. There can be differences and even a funny look to the breasts initially.  Especially when you have a large implant in a small frame, as you have.  No worries.  Give yourself time to heal. It may take a few months for the swelling to subside and the implants to drop into position. Continue to follow your surgeon's instructions and contact him/her with any questions or concerns. Best wishes.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Three weeks post-op and breast asymmetry.

Despite the fact that the implant surgery is similar on both sides of your chest, the chest/breast tissues frequently do not relax  and assume their ultimate shape in a similar time frame.  That is why you will be advised to wait at least a few months before being able to (fairly) critique your results. Although it can be frustrating, give your breasts time (a few months) before assessing your results.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Postop Concerns

I understand your concern, but it is far too early to worry as your body must accommodate itself to fairly large implants. After several months, after the skin and muscles relax, they should look fine but stay in touch with your surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Three weeks post op breast augmentation 400 cc HP textured, strange results. Advice?

Those are very large and high profile implants for your frame.  Expect them to take up to six months to settle and for your tissues to relax.  Often I find in similar situations (though I only use smooth implants) one implant will take a week or two longer than the other to settle.  Be patient but stay in touch with your surgeon.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Nonplussed by BAM results

Hi ChickyBom

You have rather large implants for your small frame.  To my eye, you may have slight asymmetry at this point in your recovery, and this is absolutely normal.  Many have more asymmetry than you do.

In my experience, the implants don't really start to drop until around the third or fourth week post op.  You are only at week 3. Textured implants can take longer, and both take up to a year or longer to see the final result.

The tingling etc., is the return of sensation.  Share this with your doctor to get ways to minimize this.

Good luck, be patient, enjoy your great result.

Post operative breast augmentation

Three weeks is still very early following a breast augmentation. It is very common following a sub muscular augmentation for the implants to remain high.  This is from contraction  of the overlying muscles keeping the implants from dropping.  The more active you are with your upper extremities and chest muscles the more these muscles contract. The implants will drop into the appropriate position as the muscles relax and can be helped with breast massage.  I have seen this process in my own practice take up to three months.