Best way to treat after hematoma?

At 6 weeks my left breast had Hematoma. My PS operated that day when I went in. I had 200cc of blood. We do t know why it happened at 6 weeks and it came on in the middle of the night. I did everything right and what he said and now I am afraid of my boobs.

Best way to treat after hematoma?

I am sorry to hear of your delayed hematoma after breast augmentation but am happy that you were able to be taken care of in such an expeditious manner by your plastic surgeon.  I can understand your fears but this type of complication is quite rare and odds are you will go on to not have any further issues.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon and alert them to any significant changes that take place. 

Hematoma after surgery, what to do?

Thank you for your question! First of all you should know you can always consult your questions with your plastic surgeon, I'm sure she/he will be happy to help you in the post-surgery care and doubts. You should know that bleeding is a possible complication for any surgery, and can happen even if all the precautions are taken to avoid it. Things that can increase the risk includes blood thinners, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and heavy lifting, once the hematoma has being evacuated, and from your description was done at the right time, you should have a good result. It is very important that you have regular post-surgery follow up with your board certified surgeon.

Rafael Gottenger, MD

Late bleeding can occur, but is much more common right after surgery. Please avoid blood thinners for now. If you have frequent easy bruising, you might ask your medical doctor to check you for bleeding abnormalities. Also, be careful of heavy lifting and straining. Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after breast augmentation

Although rare, when hematoma develops, proper management is to remove the collection of blood.  In most cases, with proper evacuation of the blood, normal results should be achieved.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Post breasts augmentation hematoma

Dear J,   Sorry for your problem, however you should not be afraid of your breasts because hematoma after breasts augmentation is very rare (in literature 2% but in my practice much less), let alone recurrence of hematoma. That is like the chances of being hit twice by lightening !  Most hematomas occur  in the first 2 weeks, when the healing tissue is fragile and can tear easily by strenuous activity. At 6 weeks after surgery it is extremely rare.   If the hematoma occurred very rapidly, the way you described it, usually it is arterial bleeding , which is a result of a tear in the muscle, consequence of intense  physical activity early on when the healing tissue is not very strong. Different patients heal differently in regard to regaining the tissue's optimal strength. Only you know what activity you were engaged in that night. 3 days after the hematoma evacuation, I recommend to my patient to continue their implant displacement massage in order to reduce the chance of capsule contracture that is more common after hematoma. Make sure to have a close follow up with your surgeon.               I hope this helps,                                      All the best,                                                           Dr Widder

Hematoma at 6 weeks

It is extremely rare for a patient to develop a hematoma so late in the post-op period, but obviously it can happen. Best of luck.