What procedure can I look into for nose lengthening and a relocation and reduction of the size of the sides of my nose?

I have a short nose that is very ugly and triangle shaped at the bottom-the sides of my nose (I believe it's called the Alar Base?) are very distinct and flare out but not my nostrils. It results in a very masculine, unattractive look.

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway

I think that you need to be seen in person to determine what might be possible for your nose. Best of luck.

Nasal Lengthening

Lengthening the short nose can be a very helpful procedure, but it must be on the right patent. Photographs would surely help to show what would work best for you. As listed in the other surgeons' answers cartilage grafts such as septal extension grafts and extended spreader grafts may be needed. Other grafts such as building up the bridge may also help. The width of your nose can be adjusted at the same time.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Photos for advices

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us !

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want.

kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Making short nose longer

A short nose can be successfully and predictably elongated using a techniques that I have reported and have used for almost 2 decades and now is being used by many rhinoplasty surgeons. The technique includes using extended spreader grafts, one on each side to make the nose longer. You may want to consult a surgeon who has experience with this technique.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to Lengthen My Nose and Change My Nasal Base

Your noe can be lengthened with the use of septal extension grafts. Without pictures I cannot evaluate your nasal base or make suggestions re how to improve that part of your nose.

Hello and thank you for your question. There are several possible maneuvers which could help you.  The best advice you can receive will come from an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lengthening the Nose and Alar Base Reduction

Lengthening of the nose can be achieved by taking cartilage from your septum and using it to elongate the structural framework of your nose. This is done by placing "extension spreader grafts" and a "septal extension graft." 

Reducing the width of the "alar base" is performed by excising an appropriate amount of soft tissue from the base of the nostrils and the lowest part of the ala. Great care must be taken when performing this procedure, however. If done incorrectly, the scar can be obvious and the alar rim can lose its natural contour and symmetry.

Robert Morin, MD, FACS