I have had 2 quick lifts in 2 years. Once again after 3 weeks post op there is no change. Have you ever heard of this happening?

The Dr uses strings to help pull face up. Wonder what the problem is?? I month post op is soon. Before and after photo shows no change. The Dr is such a nice man. I paid for both procedures however $1000 off the second time.

2 quick lifts, using strings, in 2 years. Once again after 3 weeks post op there is no change.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  As discussed below any suspension, suture, thread, or string technique will not last is it doesn't properly address the SMAS layer of the face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

If the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Quick lifts vs " QuickLift"

I can understand the confusion in terminology. The procedure

you had was basically a "Thread lift" operation perhaps combined 

with a "mini lift" technique. This operation in itself has shown often, early failure

of the thread  and because is a quick procedure it may be called a quick lift. 

However the " QuickLift" is a branded type of facelift that addresses

the issues of skin excess, muscle relaxation including neck and allows for

facial volume restoration if the patient requires it. It does not depend on a thread

or barbed suture for correction which is a misconception. The main differences with

our traditional face lift operations is that the vector of soft tissue correction is more

vertical with the QuickLift and the procedure can be done with oral analgesia and

local anesthesia. In terms of durability I have not observe a significant difference between 

the two operations when performed by a plastic surgeon verse in the technics and patient 

selection. I will suggest that you allow for a period of healing of about 6-12 months before 

any further surgical intervention, then consider a second opinion.  Best wishes.

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Consider an open procedure

You've probably reached the maximum limit of change available with a minimally invasive technique. You might want to consider an open technique as you next treatment.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why "Quick Lifts" Quickly Fail

There really is no mystery about why you saw no change one month after your each of your Quick Lifts. In fact, if you think about it, it actually makes perfect sense.  What your surgeon did was to place barbed sutures in the deep layers of the skin of the face under upward tension.  

What he did not do was release any of the ligaments and fascial attachments of this skin to the underlying soft tissues and facial skeleton.  Initially after the procedure, because of the tension placed on the sutures, and the swelling produced by the procedure, your face may appear somewhat "lifted" when you look in the mirror. But, over time, the relentless downward pull created by the unreleased ligaments and soft tissue attachments will pull everything back down once again.  

The only way to achieve a long lasting elevation of the soft tissues of the face is by meticulously and methodically transecting these anchoring structures, while at the same time fixating the elevated flap of soft tissue to something solid and immobile, such as bone or sturdy fascia.  Of course, doing this would require an "open" procedure, i.e., an actual facelift rather than a "Quick Lift."

Peter Lee, MD, FACS