Am I a candidate for tattoo excision? (Photo)

I have a tattoo on my left wrist that is 2 1/2 inches x 3 1/2 inches that I was having removed by laser. However, I have had two severe systemic reactions and have been advised not to continue with laser treatment. Am I able to get removed through excision? I do realize it would leave a large scar but at this point I have breaking out in hives after laser treatment for 12 weeks.

Wrist tattoo excision

This is a difficult tattoo to excise because the skin doesn't stretch much in this area. So it will be hard to close. If you want it out, it will require a tissue expander to stretch the skin prior to the excision. Might be better to leave alone.

There Are Options--Tattoo Removal, Excision

This will be a very difficult place and size to excise directly without massive scarring and risk of damaging underlying structures. I suggest you see a dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon with experience in removal of skin cancers because of their experience with very large excisions with flaps and/or grafts for reconstruction.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo Excision

Unfortunately I don't think that excision would be a good option for this tattoo.  It is too large in a delicate area on the wrist.  If laser is not an option, you might want to leave it alone. 

Regards,

Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon