Can I get a good result with breast augmentation alone (no lift)? (Photo)

35 years old, breast fed 2 children. 5'6 140lb. My main goals are to increase size, replace lost volume & to correct the difference in size. Thinking of using 375-450cc mod plus silicone. Sagging or having a lift never occurred to me until my first consult, where the dr. immediately mentioned doing a lift. I questioned needing it & was told I was borderline?. Is a lift necessary for me to get a nice result? I've seen many on here with no lift (comparable to me) that end up with great results.

Need for lift is not always as simple as looking at photos, as assessment of fold positions is also needed

Blueskye1010,

Given your limited photo views I do not suspect you need a lift, but I like to assess a photo with breasts gently supported above the folds so I can compare fold position, especially medially, to nipple position to make the actual determination regarding a lift. The determination also must rely on direct physical exam and assessment of tissue quality and breast geometry. Usually a starting point like yours is not going to need a lift, however, unless your folds swings obliquely upward medially, hidden by the overhanging tissues.  One thing to be mindful of, however, is to avoid lowering your folds to accommodate large implants, as that can lead to a double fold deformity where the breast skin meets the tighter skin from below your existing folds, and release of muscle should be especially avoided, as that is the maneuver that potentiates double fold formation with large implants in a situation like yours.  Further information is found at the link that follows. I hope that this helps.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Hi there. Based on your photos, you look to be a good candidate for just a breast augmentation. Even after breastfeeding two children, your breasts have a youthful appearance and the nipples are in a good position. In these circumstances, a lift will only add scars! Good luck!

Augmentation only

Thanks for sharing your photos. You look like an excellent candidate for augmentation, and certainly wouldn't require a lift to achieve a great result. 

No Breast Lift Needed...

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a great place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery only.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

Under no circumstances would you need a lift.  You are na excellent candidate for a breast augmentation alone.

No lift required

Hi there,

Judging from your profile photos, your nipples are located well above your beast crease, so I would strongly advise against lift.  That said, a lift can always be done as a secondary procedure if required.

James

James Southwell-Keely, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Lift necessary?

Thanks for your question.  From the photos provided it appears that the nipples have not descended significantly, so implants alone may give a nice result.  If you are concerned about the recommendations you were given, consider getting a second opinion.

Breast augmentation alone?

Based upon the photos it looks very possible that you would not need a lift. I would have to examined you in person to be sure.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation without lift

You have pseudoptosis of the breasts secondary to loss of volume. Replacement of your volume with the size implants you are considering will probably give you a result you desire. There is a small risk of the breast tissue nor responding so that a modified breast lift may give you a more perfect result. In some patients I have done a Crescent lift above the areola to give the results my patient has requested.

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Aug versus lift

Consult is best but based on photos only,I suspect you should do well with just implants and not likely needing a lift.You have some ptosis but not bad

Robert Savage, MD (retired)
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon