I'm Trying to Decide Between Traditional Transplant (Scalp Flap) and Neograft, Which Sounds a Lot Faster and Less Invasive?

I heard that Neograft dries out the hair follicles and consequently they often do not "take" when transplanted. Is this true? Which procedure is better? Which costs more?

Neograft vs the strip method

Thank you for your question. Follicular unit extraction does have the advantage over the strip method, especially in terms of the donor site. It allows the patient to have the option of wearing their hair very short for the rest of their life without concerns of a visible scar.  With the new craft technique, it does allow for a fairly rapid harvesting of the graphs. It is fairly straightforward to keep the grafts well hydrated. I would recommend visiting with a plastic surgeon in your area who provides the Neograft or FUE technique in their practice.

Neograft and drying of grafts

Deciding between a scalp flap and an FUE procedure should be done with the advice of your experienced hair surgeon and yourself.  However to answer your questions regarding the Neograft and drying out of follicles, I seem to think that this is a big problem with the tool.  I do not like any extra stress on my FUE grafts.  In my practice I make the punch and then we extract the grafts and put them immediately in a solution of hypothermosol at 4 degrees celsius.  With the neograft, my personal opinion is that I do not like the vacuum suction applied to the graft, and the grafts will then sit inside a chamber where there is flow of air applied to the grafts. Whether it dries out the grafts or not is hard to tell.  But in my experience I do not come across many patients that had "Excellent" results from the Neograft.  This may be due to lack of experience of the team, trauma to the grafts, and other variables. In my practice I'd rather not subject delicate FUE grafts to additional trauma.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Good question

This has been a criticism that in my opinion has political motivations.  There is no evidence to suggest that collection of follicles with NeoGraft dries out follicles.  With experienced hands, follicles will live with any method.  With inexperienced hands, follicles will die with any method.  NeoGraft was designed to cause less trauma to the follicle which in theory will preserve the integrity of the graft more and result in better "take".

Tim Neavin, MD

NeoGraft Procedure

Thank you for your question, peter4502. NeoGraft Procedure is the superior solution to hair loss, as it provides a minimal recovery time of 1-2 weeks, leverages your natural follicles to improve hair growth, provides natural looking results and gives patients the flexibility for any hair style of your choice, short of long.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

It's a tool

Neograft is just another tool that helps doctors do surgery.  If you use the tool correctly you should not have problems.  Each tool has it's issues.  The cost is dependent on the doctor or the medical group.  
THE RESULTS depend on the doctor, not the tool (not Neograft, not ARTAS, not SAFE, not FUE)

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft vs. Traditional Strip Method Hair Transplantation

We use Neograft in our practice because it is faster (which means you can do more transplants per session - most patients only require 1 session) and does not leave a linear scar in the back of your head (the donor area). The Neograft does NOT dry out the hair follicles because they are stored in a small container in the machine which washes them with sterile saline constantly to keep them moist. In fact, Neograft has a better "take" rate because the grafts are not handled by the human hand which can damage the hair follicle and cause it to fall out permanently after the transplant. We charge $5/graft and most patients require 500-2500 grafts to get the desired result. Best wishes!

Scalp flap vs neograft

This question is relatively easy to answer once you do a little more homework and hopefully go for several consults if need be, which can also be free of charge.

With the advantage of using an automated follicular unit extraction technique versus the so-called strip procedure that requires a generous incision with bleeding, sutures and or staples,
I think it will become obvious that the newer technique is unequivocally the approach one should take providing and only providing that the surgeon has experience in it since there is a steep learning curve. 

Personally I see no advantage doing a strip  procedure and with the newer technique this is certainly a game changer and will be here to stay.

if the procedure is done by an experienced hair transplant surgeon I would not be concerned at all about the viability of the follicles to be transplanted, in fact it is my personal experience that the quality of the follicles are superior thus the results give an extremely natural appearance  with well over a 90% success rate.

Scalp flap vs FUE

there are many ways of harvesting grafts one of which is FUE, the other is the FUT or the strip method. There is however an old procedure which almost no one uses except may be two doctors that I know of called scalp flap. The flap procedure is not the strip method or traditional method of transplant.  even though you may see the result quickly with the flap, there are so much complications with the procedure that it had become obsolete.  Not only does it cause scaring, the end result looks very unnatural.  Hair transplantation has gone through so much improvement since the old old flaps, that if anyone still offers them, they are doing disservice to this procedure, I suggest you get opinions of other doctors before making your decision. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Just the facts

Neograft does not dry out follicles. In fact, the follicles that are harvested are immediately transported into a liquid medium. We use a natural pH solution that slowly cools down the grafts. The grafts are then place onto moistened, cool surface to maintain viability. So what you have heard is not true!

if the flap you are talking about is probably the strip method which takes scalp out and has to be sutured closed which leaves a long visible scar. Neograft leaves small white dots less than a millimeter in size. Which would you rather have? Neograft is much less painful than the strip with a faster recoveryou will have to decide which is better, fees should be comparable.

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Neograft is an easy answer.

Do you really want a big scar across the back of your head and more pain associated with the procedure?  Of course not.

For the vast majority of patients, the strip method is no longer necessary.  We have moved on to better technology.  The Neograft procedure has an excellent take rate in most cases.  But, any technique can have less than desirable take rate, due to multiple factors.

Most all hair transplant procedures are long and boring.  Don't let a couple hours for one or another procedure have any impact on your decision.  You are going to be there for most of a day.  The lack of the linear donor scar, less pain and quality of the center are more important considerations.