Will a waist cincher or corset help shrink the waist in addition to exercise if one has Intra-Abdominal Fat after TT? (photos)

I had an extended Tummy tuck (muscle repair) 6 wks ago and I have intra-abdominal fat due to being overweight. I would like to make my stomach & waist flatter by exercising to lose weight. However, I would like some kind of tool to help while I exercise. I'm not sure if the TT did anything to my waist. Will a waist cincher or corset help flatten my stomach and reduce my waist? Cinchers help to sweat water weight by 3-5 inches but the corset reduces the waist more than 5 inches.

Will a waist cinch help shrink the waist?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  A waist cincher only temporarily narrows the waist through pressure and as a result only through diet and exercise can one effectively flatten and reduce one's stomach.  Hope this helps.

Waist Cincher or Corste

A waist cincher or corset will obviously make your stomach look smaller, atificially.  These do not however aid in specific fat reduction in the abdomen.  Unfortunately, you cannot target specific areas for fat reduction  with diet and exercise, like you can target muscles.  To get rid of intra-abdominal fat, you would have to lose weight overall, in general.  Unfortunately, I am not aware of any quick "cures" for intraabdominal fat other than weight loss.  Good luck!

Richard R. Orr, MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Visceral fat compromises tummy tuck results

Visceral fat (underneath the abdominal muscles and around your organs) will compromise any attempt at abdominoplasty.  After pregnancy, the six pack muscles separate and give the abdomen a convex (or pregnant) appearance.  If you add visceral fat to that equation, it accentuates this look and makes muscle repair difficult.  In fact, its presence has more impact on results than BMI alone.  

At this point, diet and exercise will help more than anything.  Waist trainers can help somewhat but wont touch your primary issue.  If you do go that route, get a professional to fit you properly and then monitor things carefully.  I have seen people develop wounds or contour deformities from their inappropriate or premature application.  

Weight loss

Only weight loss will decrease intra abdominal fat.  A corset will change the shape of your waist temporarily from the outside, but only losing that fat will change the shape from the inside.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon