Is there anybody who will do a tummy tuck at my current weight of 260 lbs? I'm 5'7"

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.  As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you.  Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to mommy makeover surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

BMI and tummy tuck

The reasons why many would not operate on you is because you BMI is too high. This will increase the risk of complications and will not treat the likely visceral fat that likely contributes to your overall girth.

Is there anybody who will do a tummy tuck at my current weight of 260 lbs? I'm 5'7

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications. 

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

BMI

I would recommend losing some weight first, so that your BMI is at least 30 or below. Your BMI is around 40 which is considered obese. If your BMI is higher than 30 you put yourself at a higher risk of complications occurring and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. When you reach a BMI range of 30 or below, it is best to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have your surgery performed. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

It depends upon your exam and if you are medically cleared.  While not for weight loss, removal of stubborn areas can jump start the process.  In many cases, the tummy can be reduced with Vaser liposuction, then return for more procedures after weight loss.  

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Tummy Tuck at High BMI's

"Can" and "should" are two different things.  There may be surgeons who would be willing to do that procedure on you, but many would consider the risk of surgery and complications from that surgery too high for somebody with a BMI in the 40's.  Many surgeons would encourage weight loss (through monitored diet/exercise or with a weight loss surgical procedure) to try and get you closer to an ideal body weight, and then perform surgeries to tighten and tone the areas of concern.

Having said that, there may be some plastic surgery procedures that can be done to help make exercise easier, and thus help you lose weight.  For instance, sometimes very large breasts or overhanging abdominal skin can be reduced, which would make exercise easier for you.  Then, you can go back and do a formal tummy tuck and get an even better result.

I recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options.  They will discuss your options and the timing, and recommend the best way to help get you to where you ultimately want to be.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Body contouring procedures

Body contouring procedures are best for people at or near their ideal body weight.  Also, for tummy tucks, a women must be finished with child bearing and a non smoker.  If you are overweight, then if your weight is stable, a procedure can be considered, but the risks and potential complications are much higher than normal.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to assure the best possible results.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  At your current height and weight the possible risks and complications of surgery are too high to justify an elective procedure such as a tummy tuck.  I would recommend following a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate? Weight loss first?

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.