I am trying to figure out if i should get a tummy tuck or just liposuction (Photo)

I am 26 with 3 children gained 85 lbs each pregnancy. i went from 150 to 235. I AM NOW 210 LBS and losing. I WANT EVERYTHING AROUND MY WAIST GONE. Need to know what procedure i need to get that small waist (highly active)

Tummy Tuck or Lipo?

Thanks for your question. Based on your photographs alone, it appears you could best achieve your goal with a tummy tuck. It is important that you are at or near your goal weight before having surgery. A consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon is essential. Good luck!

Should get a tummy tuck or just liposuction

Thank you for the question and pictures. Specific/meaningful advice would necessitate an in person evaluation;  complete history/ physical examination/discussion of goals/expectations will be necessary. Having said that, based on your history,  photographs, and goals, you will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point (best to proceed once you have reached your long-term stable weight).

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Tummy tuck or liposuction, and losing weight?

From your photos, you would benefit from a tummy tuck rather than liposuction especially if you are going to lose more weight.  It is unlikely that the loose hanging belly tissues will tighten and a tummy tuck is the solution for a flatter, trimmer waist.  See your plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck or just liposuction?

Judging from your photographs, you would be best served to have a full tummy tuck. A liposuction alone would not remove the excess skin in your lower abdomen. Also with a protuberant abdomen you need the rectus muscles sutured together, which creates an internal corset. The tummy tuck should also be accompanied with a simultaneous liposuction.

I suggest that you try to lose weight and reach a weight that you can reasonably maintain. A liposuction or a tummy tuck is not a substitute for weight loss. However, I have found that such procedures can be excellent incentives to weight loss. Eat a healthy low carbohydrate diet, and you will lose weight.

I hope my answer has helped you, and thank you for your question and photographs. Best wishes and luck to you.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck probably better

In your situation and based on your photos, a tummy tuck would be able to remove unwanted fat and tighten the loose skin that you appear to have. Liposuction would leave you with saggier skin, hiding your results. 

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Full Tummy Tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You will need to continue with diet and exercise to lose additional abdominal fat and intra-abdominal fat. A full Tummy Tuck should work well for you once you have lost the additional weight and liposuction can be done in conjunction to help contour your waist. I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area to share your goals and learn about options.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

I am trying to figure out if i should get a tummy tuck or just liposuction

Tummy tuck with liposuction of sides and back would give you the best result.

Tummy tuck or liposuction

Congrats on your weight loss! But you will likely achieve the best outcome if you continue losing weight first, and then see a board certified plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck.  But be patient.  Ideally, you will want to be back to your pre-pregnancy weight of 150 lbs.  Good luck.

Dean Fardo, MD

TT or lipo

Thank you for your question. You are losing weight per your description. Full TT will give optimal results once you get to your ideal weight.

Ven Erella, MD

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.

Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD