I am 5'1" and weigh 210 pounds, How much weight do I have to lose before my liposuction and tummy tuck?

i really just want to lose the fat stomach.

Weight and surgery, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.

Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

BMI

In order to get the best result possible and to have the surgery be as safe as possible you should lose at least 60 lbs. The surgery itself will not result in any noticeable weight reduction and it is not a substitute for dieting or exercise. It is a contouring procedure.

Consult with a dietician and he/she can help get you started on a program to help reach your goal in a healthy fashion. Beware of quick weight loss fads - they almost never work long term.

Best of luck to you!

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Ideal weight

Thank you for your question. You want to be at your ideal weight before this procedure however you also want to be able to be at a weight that you can easily maintain as well. Reaching your goal weight and maintaining this weight for at least 6 months before you consider this procedure is best. This is to minimize your risk of complications during and after your surgery but also to have the best aesthetic result possible. Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon for a proper assesment. Hope this helps. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

At least 60 lbs

You will need to lose at least 60 lbs of weight before surgery to get good results. There are no short cuts to achieving beautiful results from surgery. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty/ Reverse Tummy Tuck/ Liposuction/Muscle Plication/ Fleur de lis Abdominoplasty

I appreciate your question.

Best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Ideal weight for surgery

Thank you for your question. The idea is to have a stable weight with a BMI lower than 30. Your current BMI is around 39, you should loose around 50 to 70 lbs to reach your ideal weight and keep it stable for at least 3 months before surgery in order to achieve best results and to minimize risks during and after surgery.
That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Healthy Weight

A general rule of thumb is to have a BMI maximum of 30 before having any elective surgery. At 5'1 and 210 pounds, you currently have a BMI of 39.7. At your height, you would need to loose approximately 50-60 pounds. Before going into a tummy tuck or liposuction procedure, you need to be either at a healthy weight or about 10 pounds from your goal weight. This way you will get a much better result from your surgery and will be much more safe and healthy.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Weight loss first

Thank you for your question. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.

How much weight do I have to lose before my liposuction and tummy tuck?

Most plastic surgeons suggest that you finish having children, get your weight within 10 pounds of your ideal weight and have a BMI less than 30 before undergoing an abdominoplasty with repair of the stretched out abdominal muscles and liposuction of selective areas, in order to achieve the best long term cosmetic result with the least potential complications.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California.

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'1'' and weigh 210 pounds. How much weight do I have to lose before my liposuction and TT

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to pursue surgery.  As a tummy tuck and liposuction are aesthetic cases it is best to minimize the risk of possible complications as much as possible.  To this end it is best for patients to stop all tobacco products for at least 4 weeks before surgery and to get to a BMI of around 30.  This is best achieved through a healthy diet and exercise routine.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination to assess where your weight is carried, at your height you would want to aim for approximately 160 pounds.  Hope this helps.