Can I have a Tummy Tuck if I'm not sure I'm done having kids? (photos)

I'm debating weather or not to get a tummy tuck now or wait, I'm so uncomfortable but I'm not 100% I'm done having kids. I'm 24years old I had a extremely complicated pregnancy 4 years ago where I gained 90lbs!!!. I've lost all of the weight accept 5 lbs. I don't have a lot of stretch marks but a lot of excess skin, I can't get it to tighten up at all. My gynecologist said that my mussels separated due to all the stretching. I feel so uncomfortable but im not 100% I'm done having kids

Can I have a Tummy Tuck if I'm not sure I'm done having kids?

• Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 

• Having said the above, if you are not planning on pregnancies in the near future, it may make sense to undergo tummy tuck surgery now (and hopefully enjoy the outcome of the procedure for many years). Just keep in mind, that a revisionary procedure may be necessary after pregnancies are completed.
  • I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns) helps.

Tummy Tuck and Future Pregnancy

Yes, you can still have a tummy tuck prior to being done having children........but I would advise against it.  Future pregnancy will likely leave you needing another tummy tuck in the future.  Another operation means more cost and more opportunity for complications.  I 100% understand your concerns and desires, but I would advise against tummy tuck until you are done having children.  Good luck!

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician