Residual lumps on the side of my nose 1 year post op - I had a rhinoplasty one year ago

I feel/see two small lumps on the side of my nasal bone. One lump is slightly larger than the other. It completely ruins the contour of my nose so we tried injections to fix it a little but it still shows. My question is, I do not want to undergo a revision, so would rasping help? What are my options? (I know without pics its hard to tell but it's literally just 2 tiny lumps on the side of my nasal bone)

Residual lumps

Obtaining your previous operative note and consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist would be helpful in determining if your diagnosis is indeed correct.

Residual Lumps

It is difficult to judge what these lumps are without the photographs but commonly irregularities in this area are due to little bits of cartilage or bone or sometimes both. After surgery, bone and especially cartilage can warp and change shape due to healing and scarring processes. If the lump is small it is usually possible to carry out a simple rasping procedure. This works especially well if the lump is bone. If it is a mixture of cartilage and bone, I am afraid that it may be necessary to carry out a closed or sometimes an open revision. If the lumps are small it is likely that a remedy can be found and your surgeon should be able to advise you about this.

Nasal Bumps

Without pictures it is impossible to say what your bumps are. But by description and being one year out from rhinoplasty surgery, they may be bony irregularities from nasal osteotomies. They may well be amenable to reduction by further bony rasping or osteotomies.

Revision rhinoplasty candidate

A revision rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the 2 small visible lumps that are present. The lumps must be visible in order to justify revising the nose.

Hello Ek48,
Thanks for your question.
Without seeing or feeling the area of complaint it would be hard to guess at what to do.
Rasping may help if what you are feeling are bony spicules.  If, however, you feel that your dorsal nasal lines aren't straight and seem to widen at these 2 bony areas, then rasping and osteotomy revisions might be necessary.
Your surgeon knows your situation best, so if filler injections haven't helped, surgery probably will.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

It if the bumps are bone, it is possible that rasping it may help.  You would have to be seen in person to be sure.  Good luck.

Post op bumps

Relying on your description without knowing at what level the bumps are. Is it bone and/or cartilage?. Does the bump show because there is an internal valve collapse?
Too many things can cause bumps. You need to be seen in person.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. I recommend that you return to your surgeon who can evaluate you.  Hopefully he/she can help.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lumps after rhinoplasty

Hello! You are correct, without photos and an exam it is impossible to tell what is causing, and without knowing the cause it is difficult to discuss a remedy. What did your surgeon say was the reason? Thin skin can show imperfections of the underlying structures. It could be cartilage grafting if that was used, prominent nasal bones or a combination. If disguising with fillers did not improve the issue to your satisfaction, surgery is your best option. Possibly rasping with a fascial overlay to help soften the appearance of any residual "bumps" would be an option, but you would need to discuss this with your surgeon. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon