What kind of reactions have you gotten from folks when they saw that you were getting a tattoo removed. Any "I told you so's"?

I have a tattoo that I'm getting lasered a few times to lighten it up for a coverup. I'm a little concerned about getting sassy comments from friends and family members, who may judge me or so "I told you so" re: getting tattoos. Thought son how to constructively cope with that?

People Change

We all change over our lifetimes and almost always in unpredictable ways.  A tattoo that may have been relevant and desirable for you at a certain time in your life but may easily cease to be so at a different time point.  There is absolutely no shame in that.  In fact, you should be applauded for taking the initiative to improve your skin and self-image no matter what stage of life you’re in!  So please don’t pay any attention to snarky comments that may come your way.  Tattoo removal is extremely common these days.  The only thing I recommend is to see a specialist in this procedure because there is still a significant degree of technique and expertise that goes into it.  Best of luck!

San Diego Dermatologist

It is a personal choice to get a tattoo and also to get it removed.

Some people get stupid tattoos and may be ridiculed because of it, but for most people it is a simple choice to get a tattoo and also to get laser tattoo removal.  Usually nobody cares but you. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo regret

All you can say is that you realize you made a mistake and are taking steps to correct it. The numbers state that a significant number to people who get tattoos, regret it. Up to 1/3rd regret it. Tattoo removal is increasing more than practically any single procedure in the industry. I wouldn't worry about what people are saying. There are many people in your same shoes.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Social reaction to tattoo removal

People have many different reasons for having their tattoos removed. It is usually a decision that requires a lot of thought, since it involves significant time and expense. Sometimes people will bring their friends and family to their appointments with them.  In my experience, they have been very supportive of the decision.

It's nobody's business

Hi there, 

I wouldn't worry what anyone thinks about the personal choices you have made to get tattooed. We all learn and grow as we age and what may have seemed like a good idea a few years ago may not suit you today. I think a good generic rely to someone who has the nerve to sass you would be to mind their own business.